Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by jcyim <jo...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/10 06:53:58 UTC

tomcat logs

hello.

I am using geronimo 2.2 with tomcat in redhat linux.
I was trying to see logs when lifecycle of Web Application (WAR) changed.
because I wanted to check whether Web Application properly
installed/uninstalled/started/stopped using viewing geronimo log files.

I was struggling with the server configuration file which is
server-log4j.properties, especially I modified the configuration of catalina
log setting part of the server configuration file serveral times in a
different way.

but, I could not get the any log related tomcat in geronimo.log or/and
geronimo.out.
It seems to me that the configuration for catalina parts has no any effect.

(I am not talking about access log-it works fine for me)

anyone knows answer?

one more question, according to default setting of server-log4j.properties,
I expect that
logs in geronimo.out and geronimo.log are supposed to be almost same. but
the contents of two log files are quite different. why is that?

TIS.

Re: tomcat logs

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
IIRC, geronimo.out is the output of the console, while geronimo.log is the
real log file.
To monitor the application lifecycle, except for chaning the log levels, I
think that the better way is to create a seperate monitor application, and
implment a DeploymentWather GBean, and configure it in the
META-INF/geronimo-service.xml.
Hope it helps.

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/tags/geronimo-2.2.1/framework/modules/geronimo-kernel/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/config/DeploymentWatcher.java

2011/1/10 jcyim <jo...@gmail.com>

> hello.
>
> I am using geronimo 2.2 with tomcat in redhat linux.
> I was trying to see logs when lifecycle of Web Application (WAR) changed.
> because I wanted to check whether Web Application properly
> installed/uninstalled/started/stopped using viewing geronimo log files.
>
> I was struggling with the server configuration file which is
> server-log4j.properties, especially I modified the configuration of
> catalina
> log setting part of the server configuration file serveral times in a
> different way.
>
> but, I could not get the any log related tomcat in geronimo.log or/and
> geronimo.out.
> It seems to me that the configuration for catalina parts has no any effect.
>
> (I am not talking about access log-it works fine for me)
>
> anyone knows answer?
>
> one more question, according to default setting of server-log4j.properties,
> I expect that
> logs in geronimo.out and geronimo.log are supposed to be almost same. but
> the contents of two log files are quite different. why is that?
>
> TIS.

Ivan

Re: tomcat logs

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM, jcyim <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello.
>
> I am using geronimo 2.2 with tomcat in redhat linux.
> I was trying to see logs when lifecycle of Web Application (WAR) changed.
> because I wanted to check whether Web Application properly
> installed/uninstalled/started/stopped using viewing geronimo log files.
>
> You might want to look into /var/bin/Catalina/logs folder for
Tomcat-specfic logs.

I was struggling with the server configuration file which is
> server-log4j.properties, especially I modified the configuration of
> catalina
> log setting part of the server configuration file serveral times in a
> different way.
>
> but, I could not get the any log related tomcat in geronimo.log or/and
> geronimo.out.
> It seems to me that the configuration for catalina parts has no any effect.
>
> (I am not talking about access log-it works fine for me)
>
> anyone knows answer?
>
> one more question, according to default setting of server-log4j.properties,
> I expect that
> logs in geronimo.out and geronimo.log are supposed to be almost same. but
> the contents of two log files are quite different. why is that?

geronimo.out is the file that Geronimo's stdout and stderr streams will be
redirected to if Geronimo is started in the background.
geronimo.log is the log4j appender file which you can direct server runtime
logs into according to the server-log4j.propertie configuration.

HTH.

Jeff C