Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/09/24 14:38:33 UTC

[Reminder] Release criteria for Excalibur

The release criteria for the Excalibur components should be similar to
Framework, but the pieces are smaller.  If we observe these policies,
we will have better documentation and usage:

1) Proper testing.  If you develop tests as you build new functionality
    (or even *before*) then you have nothing to worry about.  However,
    there are a few of us who haven't seen the importance of testing yet.

2) Proper documentation.  Documentation should include at the very
    minimum: WHAT the component is, WHEN you need to use it, WHY it was
    developed, HOW to use it.  The other two of the basic questions
    (WHO developed it, and WHERE???) are not as critical.  As long as
    we document WHAT, WHEN, WHY, and HOW the docs will be considered
    good enough.

For everything else, just consult the RELEASE_PLAN.txt files.  I think
those two are the minimum requirements before we can make a release.
By observing those requirements, we give the user both the confidence
that we have solid tools and the help they need to get started using
them.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin