Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Bryan Kearney <bk...@redhat.com> on 2009/06/04 15:06:08 UTC

Acutally.. QPID Code Generation (Re: QMF code generation)

I spoke with Ted, and to be clear, this is used in C# and Java to take
the spec as input and generate qpid classes. Sorry about the confusion.

-- bk

Re: Acutally.. QPID Code Generation (Re: QMF code generation)

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I spoke with Ted, and to be clear, this is used in C# and Java to take
> the spec as input and generate qpid classes. Sorry about the confusion.
>
> -- bk
>
> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> I am playing around with the qmf code generation. It appears to use
>> jython to run a set of python classes with a custom templating engine.
>>
>> My main question, why use jython? It seems like a python-only solution
>> could have worked. I am working with the main python code and it seems
>> to work. If the goal was cross-platform code generation via Java, why
>> not choose a java templating engine such as Velocity or Freemarker?

The use of jython came about because on the one hand some of the Java
developers objected to introducing a python dependency into the Java
build, and on the other hand, I didn't want to rewrite spec parsing
stuff that I'd already written in python, so jython was a natural
compromise.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org