Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kirti Velankar <Ki...@Sun.COM> on 2001/05/22 00:02:00 UTC

Error while Running FOP

Hi Max,

Thanks for the quick reply.

(1) Downloads
--------------
About the running FOP problems:

I downloaded the following files for FOP from the URL http://xml.apache.org/dist/fop/
1. Fop-0.18.1-DEV-src.tar.gz
2. fop-bin-0_17_0.jar
3. fop-uml.zip

Do I need to get something else?

(2) Variables:
---------------
Classpath:
According to the documentation on the FOP site, I do not need to set the classpath.
But this confuses me as otherwise how will it get the class files?
( As I just wish to use it , the doc. says :
If you only want to use Fop, you don't need to build it. A fop.jar comes with the distribution.)

Java_Home :
This contains the path for JDK 1.3.

here are the contents of my fop directory:
./                       Fop-0.18.1-DEV-src.tar   fop-uml.zip
../                      hello.xsl
Fop-0.18.1-DEV/          fop-bin-0_17_0.jar       sample.xml

(3) Running as a command-line application:
When I give the command Fop -d -xml sample.xml -xsl hello.xsl -pdf me.pdf
It gives me the error:
Fop: Command not found

And this is perfect as it does not have any executable here.

(4)Running as a java program:
-------------------------------
Then I tried to run the Fop.java from fop/Fop-0.18.1-DEV directory as
java Fop -xml sample.xml -xsl hello.xsl -pdf me.pdf
It gave me the error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Fop

Note: I ran the build.sh and I had not got any kind of error.

What is going wrong? Does anyone have any inputs?

Thanks--
Kirti

> From: "Max Dunn" <ma...@siliconpublishing.com>
> To: <fo...@xml.apache.org>, "Kirti Velankar" <Ki...@Sun.COM>
> Subject: RE: Where to find documentation for beginners?
> Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:30:41 -0700
>
> A good tutorial on FO is at
> http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible/updates/15.html
>
> Dave Pawson has some XSLFO coverage at:
> http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3.html
>
> Including a "gentle introduction".
>
> Cocoon uses FOP in a servlet environment:
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/index.html
>
> There is a chapter of Brett McLaughlin's book (Java and XML) about using
> Cocoon, FO, and FOP, online at:
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml/chapter/ch09.html
>
> But you should definitely get your classpath issue resolved, it is important
> to test these things.
>
> Max
> www.siliconpublishing.org/

Kirti Velankar.