Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aqute.se> on 2002/10/03 10:56:10 UTC

Re[4]: OSGi

I admit that I did not have a thorough look through the Avalon code
and are still a bit overwhelmed with the jargon I encounter. However,
I assume I do the same thing to this group :-)

I will try to have a deeper look into Avalon during the weekend so I
could come up with some kind of idea how to OSGi could fit
in/on Avalon.

PD> I also seem to recal that OSGI also defined a set of "work" interfaces for
PD> services such as HttpServers and like.
We have developed well documented interfaces for the
following areas in R2:

        - Logging
        - Http service (it is trivial to include servlets in the
          bundle)
        - Remote management of Java permissions and Java packages
        - Device Access (loads code on detection of external devices)
        - Configuration Management
        - Preferences database
        - User Admin
        - Metatyping

In R3 (due somewhere early next year) the OSGi alliance probably adds interface
specifications for:

        - Wire Admin (a dynamic component wiring model)
        - Dynamically extending URL stream and content handlers
        - Communications and messaging where bundles provide
          difference schemes.
        - Finding a suitable XML parser
        - Start and shutdown ordering
        - Measurements, Position
        - Jini
        - UPnP

PD> However I think you will find that the legalese and licensing will be the
As said, I am not a lawyer, neither do I want to become one. The way I
understand it, it is possible to implement the spec without any
licensing. Obviously, there may be unknown patents involved in the
spec, but the same can happen to your current work. It is today
impossible to write software without infringing on someone's IPR. For
the OSGi specs, at least the members have not declared any IPR on the
specifications. Anyway, if there is some technical enthusiasm we
should get lawyers involved.

I think it is in the OSGi's interest to get a group as Avalon
involved. I can try hard to make this impossible because I think I
understand why OSS developers are not going pay for this :-)

--
Peter Kriens                              Tel. +46 30039800
Finnasandsvägen 22                        Fax. +46 30039805