Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shahed Ali <sh...@enoor.com> on 2001/08/05 22:30:41 UTC

tools.jar location ??

Hi,

I am having problems with tools.jar on Solaris Sparc 8
with JDK 1.3.1

I have tools.jar set in my CLASSPATH
in my /etc/profile, and I start tomcat in  rc2.d.

This does not allow me to recompile jsp pages.
I get a sun/tools/Main class not found exception when jsp pages
need to be recompiled.

When I tired a symlink under WEB-INF/lib to point to my jdk1.3.1 tools.jar,
it seems to work only if I restart tomcat manually and not on reboot from
rc2.d.

So my questions are :-

1. Where should I place tools.jar ??

2. Is thre some problem with JDK 1.3.1 tools.jar and Tomcat 3.2.1 ? I used
tools.jar from JDK 1.3.0 and I think that works fine. I suspect some
problems
with the jdk1.3.1 tools.jar under Solaris 8 Sparc JDK 1.3.1 from Sun.

Thanks
Shahed

Re: tools.jar location ??

Posted by "Nils O. Selåsdal" <no...@frisurf.no>.
On Sunday 05 August 2001 21:30, Shahed Ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with tools.jar on Solaris Sparc 8
> with JDK 1.3.1
>
> I have tools.jar set in my CLASSPATH
> in my /etc/profile, and I start tomcat in  rc2.d.
>
> This does not allow me to recompile jsp pages.
> I get a sun/tools/Main class not found exception when jsp pages
> need to be recompiled.
>
> When I tired a symlink under WEB-INF/lib to point to my jdk1.3.1 tools.jar,
> it seems to work only if I restart tomcat manually and not on reboot from
> rc2.d.
>
> So my questions are :-
>
> 1. Where should I place tools.jar ??
>
> 2. Is thre some problem with JDK 1.3.1 tools.jar and Tomcat 3.2.1 ? I used
> tools.jar from JDK 1.3.0 and I think that works fine. I suspect some
> problems
> with the jdk1.3.1 tools.jar under Solaris 8 Sparc JDK 1.3.1 from Sun.
Where do you set the CLASSPATH ? Because you have tools.jar in the classpath,
doesnt mean tomcat has it when its run at startup time.

Also, setting the JAVA_HOME enviroment variable should be enough for tomcat
to figure out where the tools.jar is. When run from one of the rc.d dirs, you
are better off definig such variables at the beginning of 'tomcat.sh'

--
Nils O. Selåsdal