Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert L Sowders <rs...@usgs.gov> on 2002/09/30 23:01:19 UTC

Documentation

Since most of the questions to tomcat-users list concern installation and
configuration issues it demonstrates that there is a real need for Tomcat
to have a "documentation project" that it's users can contribute to. Right
now most of the documentation consists of the xdocs which are pretty good,
but can be so much more.  The developers obviously have little time to
maintain the present documentation and there is such an apparent need that
I wonder why a project for the documentation has not been started.

There are many "doc-projects" out there to emulate.  I especially like the
one that the apache folks have running, the new xml documentation for
Apache 2.0 is probably the best I've seen.

I'm sure that many people would be willing to devote some time to
organizing and maintaining input from the community into a resource that
would benefit everyone.  I for one would be willing to contribute, but
right now there is nothing an nowhere to submit to.

Should the developers of Tomcat initiate a project for the documentation?
Or should we?  The Apache folks seem to have solved this issue, it remains
to be solved for Tomcat.

Have a look at some examples of opensouce projects which have solved their
documentation problems:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/
http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/
http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dsssldoc/index.html
http://pm-doc.sourceforge.net/
http://zdp.zope.org/
http://www.tldp.org/

rls

Re: Documentation

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Robert L Sowders wrote:
> Since most of the questions to tomcat-users list concern installation and
> configuration issues it demonstrates that there is a real need for Tomcat
> to have a "documentation project" that it's users can contribute to. Right
> now most of the documentation consists of the xdocs which are pretty good,
> but can be so much more.  The developers obviously have little time to
> maintain the present documentation and there is such an apparent need that
> I wonder why a project for the documentation has not been started.

I would tend to agree with the above, those writing the code either don't
have the inclination or time to write up good documentation.

Have you looked at the latest docs for Tomcat 4.1?  Much better jk documentation,
existing docs updated, and even some new documents at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/index.html

Regards,

Glenn

Re: putting workers2.properties in $CATALINA_HOME/conf

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com>.
Never mind, I found it!  In httpd.conf, put

# Tomcat mod_jk2.so Stuff
LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.so
JkSet config.file /opt/jakarta/catalina/conf/workers2.properties

But tell me, why does workers2.properties use TOMCAT_HOME instead of
CATATLINA_HOME?

Re: Documentation

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com>.
I'll throw in what I can.  Most of my TC "docs" consist of URLs and
hardcopy that I've collected here and there from the web, along with my
notes.  Put me on your list...

If nothing else, it will help me to learn more aobut Tomcat...