Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Dr. Scott S. Jones" <sc...@fyrenice.com> on 2005/09/14 01:19:50 UTC

[users@httpd] 2 questions with apache2 operation

I am not sure where my system is corrupted, but it is problematic indeed.

Here's the problem, and then a symptom:

1) I run Mailman 2.5 on my apache 2 installation, system running Debian 3.1.
I can open my mailman database if I enter it like this:

	http://fyrenice.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/listname

However, if I leave out the '/cgi-bin' portion of the URL, the site fails to
load. As well, even though I can get one page to load, if I then go to the
page, and make any changes, if I attempt to update the page with the
changes, I get a 404 error, and the URL reverts back to the following:

	http://fyrenice.com/mailman/admin/listname

... with the cgi-bin reference removed.

Obviously, this prevents the site from working as it should. To top it off,
when I open mailman, instead of some mailman inspired URL icon, I see the
icon for Sql-ledger, any time I am running Mailman. I have sql-ledger
installed as well but have never opened or used it yet.

2) When I run apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade I get the following
errors:

	2 not fully installed or removed.
	Need to get 0B of archives.
	After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
	Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
	Setting up libapache-mod-perl (1.29.0.3-6sarge1) ...
	Error: libdav.so does not have a corresponding .info file.
	Error: libphp4.so does not have a corresponding .info file.
	Error: mod_ssl.so does not have a corresponding .info file.
	The above errors might cause apache to not work properly or start
	Please refer to the documentation on how to fix it or report it to
	Debian Apache Mailing List <de...@lists.debian.org> if in
	doubt
	on how to proceed
	dpkg: error processing libapache-mod-perl (--configure):
	 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128
	 dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apache-perl:
	  apache-perl depends on libapache-mod-perl (>= 1.29.0.2-9); however:
	    Package libapache-mod-perl is not configured yet.
	     apache-perl depends on libapache-mod-perl (<< 1.30); however:
	       Package libapache-mod-perl is not configured yet.
	       dpkg: error processing apache-perl (--configure):
		 libapache-mod-perl
		  apache-perl

I have tried to update and then upgrade and nothing seems to fix these
errors.

Thanks for any help!

Scott

[users@httpd] Re: 2 questions with apache2 operation

Posted by "Dr. Scott S. Jones" <sc...@fyrenice.com>.
+++ Joshua Slive [14/09/05 13:31 -0400]:
> On 9/13/05, Dr. Scott S. Jones <sc...@fyrenice.com> wrote:
> > 1) I run Mailman 2.5 on my apache 2 installation, system running Debian 3.1.
> > I can open my mailman database if I enter it like this:
> >
> >         http://fyrenice.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/listname
> >

> It sounds like mailman has hard-coded references to the URL in its
> files (or you have not properly configured mailman to use the proper
> URL).  You may be able to work around this using
> ScriptAlias /mailman /full/path/to/cgi-bin/mailman

Joshua:

I can understand the hard-coding issue. Here's where I get confused. What is
the "proper URL"? I know that in the past I have just been able to access my
Mailman gui at http://fyrenice.com/mailman/nameoflistblahblahblah.... That
has not changed.

Does ScriptAlias direct Mailman where to look to find the binary to load it
when it's invoked? Is that the purpose of the ScriptAlias directive there in
httpd.conf?

Scott

Re: [users@httpd] 2 questions with apache2 operation

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/05, Dr. Scott S. Jones <sc...@fyrenice.com> wrote:
> 1) I run Mailman 2.5 on my apache 2 installation, system running Debian 3.1.
> I can open my mailman database if I enter it like this:
>
>         http://fyrenice.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/listname
>
> However, if I leave out the '/cgi-bin' portion of the URL, the site fails to
> load. As well, even though I can get one page to load, if I then go to the
> page, and make any changes, if I attempt to update the page with the
> changes, I get a 404 error, and the URL reverts back to the following:
>
>         http://fyrenice.com/mailman/admin/listname
>
> ... with the cgi-bin reference removed.
>
> Obviously, this prevents the site from working as it should. To top it off,
> when I open mailman, instead of some mailman inspired URL icon, I see the
> icon for Sql-ledger, any time I am running Mailman. I have sql-ledger
> installed as well but have never opened or used it yet.

It sounds like mailman has hard-coded references to the URL in its
files (or you have not properly configured mailman to use the proper
URL).  You may be able to work around this using
ScriptAlias /mailman /full/path/to/cgi-bin/mailman

> 2) When I run apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade I get the following
> errors:

I would follow these instructions:

>         Please refer to the documentation on how to fix it or report it to
>         Debian Apache Mailing List <de...@lists.debian.org> if in
>         doubt
>         on how to proceed

Joshua