Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Janko Heilgeist <ja...@rzg.mpg.de> on 2007/11/23 11:59:46 UTC

Deploying GBeans bundled inside an EAR

Hi,

on July 11th, 2006 Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Let's say you want to deploy certain GBeans when an EAR is deployed.
> The problem seems to be getting them onto the classpath for the EAR.
> The options seem to be somewhat forced:
>
>  - put them in a JAR in a RAR in the EAR
>  - put them in an EJB JAR in the EAR
>  - put them in a JAR in the EAR and add a reference to that JAR to the
> manifest Class-Path of an EJB JAR in the EAR
>  - put them in a JAR in the repository and add a dependency to
> geronimo-application.xml
>  - put them in a service module JAR or in a different application
> module using one of these options and add that module as a dependency
> in geronimo-application.xml
>
> Is that right?  It seems like it might be valuable to be able to
> include a JAR of GBeans in the EAR and somehow reference it from the
> geronimo-application.xml so it could be added to the EAR classpath
> without being in a J2EE module in the EAR, and still benefit from the
> hot deployment features and stuff that don't work as well for JARs in
> the repository.  That would also provide an option other than the
> manifest Class-Path for having multiple J2EE modules in an EAR refer
> to the same JAR in the EAR.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>     Aaron

Have there been any advances on this topic? I've seen a recent post by
David Jencks, that one can put the classes into a JAR inside the
lib-folder and describe the GBeans inside the geronimo-application.xml,
but although this deploys successfully for me, the GBean is never
started. All the documentation and tutorials available refer to pre-2.0
Geronimo and describe methods, that seem to be obsolete.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Janko

Re: Deploying GBeans bundled inside an EAR

Posted by Janko Heilgeist <ja...@rzg.mpg.de>.
Hi David,

thanks for coming back to me on this question.

In the meantime, I discovered one of the examples in the Geronimo
sources and figured it out myself. I can't remember exactly, what the
specific problem with my GBean was, but I seem to recall that I expected
the GBean to show up in the JMX Viewer of the admin interface. When I
couldn't discover my deployed GBean in either the JMX Viewer, nor the
Dependency Viewer (as a dependency of my EAR), nor in the listing of
system modules, I wrongly assumed that the GBean never got started.

Best,
Janko

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.