Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/07 21:05:10 UTC

ou=projects out of sync with ou=committees and ou=groups

It looks like either Whimsy is broken or people are still use LDAP
scripts to update committees and groups.

See for example Maven += gboue

He has been added to committee-info.json and ldap_committees.json, but
is not in ldap_projects.json.

This is not the only discrepancy:

bimargulies resigned from Mahout and was dropped from CI, committees
and groups, but not projects.

There are more examples.

The discrepancies can obviously be fixed but unless people only use
Whimsy going forward, differences are likely to recur.

I wonder whether access to the groups should be restricted to Whimsy only?

Re: ou=projects out of sync with ou=committees and ou=groups

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 August 2017 at 22:43, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 August 2017 at 22:34, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 5:05 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It looks like either Whimsy is broken or people are still use LDAP
>>> scripts to update committees and groups.
>>>
>>> See for example Maven += gboue
>>>
>>> He has been added to committee-info.json and ldap_committees.json, but
>>> is not in ldap_projects.json.
>>>
>>> This is not the only discrepancy:
>>>
>>> bimargulies resigned from Mahout and was dropped from CI, committees
>>> and groups, but not projects.
>>>
>>> There are more examples.
>>>
>>> The discrepancies can obviously be fixed but unless people only use
>>> Whimsy going forward, differences are likely to recur.
>>
>> Alternate theory: the changes were made using Whimsy:
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2f06a0601e5967e472db6efde36a386685f73d14ff20c70c25731df1@%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e5e47657436191156b83483f3ee4b75b87714b70076af22600d9c1d7@%3Cprivate.mahout.apache.org%3E
>>
>> ... but there was a bug:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/02f6ace1a1d0736cd21024c99095fe1ede714ebf
>>
>>> I wonder whether access to the groups should be restricted to Whimsy only?
>>
>> The Perl scripts have been modified to print out a message suggesting
>> the use of the whimsy roster tool as a replacement; and then exit.
>
> Yes, I know, but some projects reported taking a copy of the scripts
> and removing the exit in order to update LDAP.

... though it's most likely that the Whimsy bug was the cause.

>> - Sam Ruby
>>
>> P.S.  Unless somebody beats me to it, within the next 48 hours I'll
>> resync project owners from committee members for all non guineapig
>> projects.

If you mean resync ou=committees to fix the missing entries caused by
Whimsy, then +1
Also need to resync ou=group members with project.members

If you mean resync CI and owners, that might be confusing for PMCs who
have been reminded to update LDAP and find it has been done in the
meantime.

> It's not just project owners that are out of sync:
>
> project.members ~ group.members:
> hbase: pm-g=[] g-pm=["mdrob"]
> mahout: pm-g=["bimargulies"] g-pm=[]
fixed
> parquet: pm-g=[] g-pm=["mdeepak"]
> spark: pm-g=[] g-pm=["sameerag"]
>
> project.owners ~ committee.members:
> drill: po-c=[] c-po=["arina"]
> flink: po-c=[] c-po=["chesnay"]
> geode: po-c=[] c-po=["joeymcallister"]
> hadoop: po-c=[] c-po=["epayne", "sunilg", "varunsaxena"]
> mahout: po-c=["bimargulies"] c-po=[]
fixed

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.