Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jack L <jl...@yahoo.ca> on 2007/04/25 20:28:20 UTC

Re[4]: Things are not quite stable...

That is understood.

For people who are not familiar with Java servlet containers, like
myself, the embedded web server takes the least effort to set up.
And jetty is supposed be a production quality quality package, it'll be
great that the default package with jetty can be used for production.

--
Jack

Re: Re[6]: Things are not quite stable...

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/07, Jack L <jl...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I don't know for sure. But from the symptom, when error 404 happens,
> solr seems to still work fine (so does that part of Jetty.) Then those
> 404'ed pages may have some solr specific logic in it?

I'm really not sure--I've built several long-running, huge indices and
never experienced this issue.

> Regardless, I think it's a good idea to use a newer, released (not RC)
> version in general, considering 5.1 is one major version behind.
> And I'm glad to know that jetty works well for you - because I'm counting
> on it, and am not planning on learning Tomcat soon :) Do you mind mentioning
> what version of Jetty you are using in production?

Sure: I'm using the provided, 5.1RC0 version.  I didn't know anything
about servlet containers when I first started using Solr (and still
don't, really), and since the provided container has never given me
any (significant[1]) issues, I've kept with it.

[1] Aside from XML-escaping irregularities that were discussed on the
list last year.

-Mike

Re: Re[8]: Things are not quite stable...

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jack,

On 4/27/07, Jack L <jl...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> ...Is there a build script that automagically grab files from jetty's
> source tree (local) and build a solr release? In other words, I can
> try building with a newer version of jetty if it doesn't take too
> much work - I don't know much about jetty or solr at the code level....

You don't need the source code of Jetty to do that, jars from a
released version will do, probably with some changes to our Jetty
configuration files, according to Jetty's docs.

For the Solr example configuration, Jetty configs are in example/etc/,
and the Jetty jars are in example/lib/ (except start.jar which might
also change with newer Jetty releases).

If you adapt them to a more recent Jetty, patches would be appreciated!

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJetty has some additional info.

HTH,
-Bertrand

Re[8]: Things are not quite stable...

Posted by Jack L <jl...@yahoo.ca>.
Hello Bertrand,

Is there a build script that automagically grab files from jetty's
source tree (local) and build a solr release? In other words, I can
try building with a newer version of jetty if it doesn't take too
much work - I don't know much about jetty or solr at the code level.

--
Best regards,
Jack

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jack L <jl...@yahoo.ca>.
Mike,

Re: Re[4]: Things are not quite stable...

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 25, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Mike Klaas wrote:

> On 4/25/07, Jack L <jl...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> That is understood.
>>
>> For people who are not familiar with Java servlet containers, like
>> myself, the embedded web server takes the least effort to set up.
>> And jetty is supposed be a production quality quality package,
>> it'll be
>> great that the default package with jetty can be used for production.
>
> Do you know that Jetty is the culprit?  We've been successfully using
> it for production purposes.

Same here.  It's been solid for us on several applications already,
just using the example Jetty binary.

	Erik

Re: Re[4]: Things are not quite stable...

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.