Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/21 16:51:38 UTC

Arrow sync today at 17:00 UTC

https://meet.google.com/vtm-teks-phx

Re: Arrow sync today at 17:00 UTC

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
Brief notes from our meeting today:

- Wes (Two Sigma)
  - 0.9.0 release
  - Progress towards 1.0
- Sidd (Dremio)
- Jacques
- Uwe (Blue Yonder)
  - uuid type + type annotations
- Simba
- Kevin (Quilt data)

- Binary format
  - Does Java reject messages with the wrong metadata version?
  - Users are expected to be willing to upgrade their libraries
  - Expect interval and union types to change

- JavaScript release candidate
  - Need 3rd PMC vote

- 0.9.0 release
  - Wes and others to trim backlog to close in on release
  - Sidd to be RM

- Type annotations
  - To discuss on mailing list
  - Similar to ConvertedType in Parquet
  - Map possibly could be recast as this

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
 My notes from our syncup.

*Attendees*
Wes: Discuss 0.9/1.0
Jacques: Nothing in particular.
Sidd: Nothing in particular.
Li: Binary format stability.
Simba: Discuss release
Uwe: 0.9 release, UUID type
Kevin: Nothing in particular.

*Format Stability*
Interval type and unions need work/integration tests. Other types are
probably stable but no guarantees until 1.0. Only guarantee that we have
now is that a format change will cause an error (for example, the format
version changed in 0.8).
As part of this we need to verify if Java is verifying binary format.

*Release 0.9*
Work towards getting a candidate up next week. Sidd “volunteered” to be
release manager. People are going to get what they can done before next
week.

*Type Annotations*
Uwe will look to propose an structured way to annotate types for things
like UUID. Need to decide where it can be applied  (list of structs, leaf
values, etc). Also, what validation will library do. Wes mentioned that the
recent work in Parquet may be good inspiration.

*Needs for 1.0*
Finalize Interval and Union
Java implementation of map type and integration tests.
C++ complete the implementation for map type.
C++ implementation of fixed size list.