Posted to general@attic.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org> on 2013/07/28 09:47:11 UTC

Is it possible to commit to a project in the Attic?

If someone wanted to fix a bug or finish a feature or resolve a Jira issue
on a project that is currently in the attic (speicifically I'm referring
to mod_python in this case), what is the ASF policy on that?

Do we have a process by which contributions could still be accepted from
former committers (or outside, provided that at least one member of the
former PMC is around to vet), even if perhaps such a project may not see a
release in any forseable future, or is the only option available is to
fork the project somewhere outside of ASF (e.g. Github) and do it there?

In this particular case a number of fixes have been made over the years by
various other parties (distro vendors, etc), and they are not reflected in
SVN but are rather scattered across the web. Seems like it wouild be of
general benifit to humanity to have them consolidated if someone would be
willing to put in the time.

Thank you,

Grisha

Re: Is it possible to commit to a project in the Attic?

Posted by Henri Yandell <he...@yandell.org>.
No - once it's in the attic it's an inactive project. It can either be
restarted at Apache (Incubator being the obvious direction) or forked
externally (with linking from Apache). I guess you could also fork it to
Apache Labs.

Hen