Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2004/11/26 09:42:17 UTC

Gump and APR

Hi all,

this is a heads-up, Gump has run the buildconf and configure scripts
for APR on its last run[1] and I'll try to get some minimal <make>
builder working next week to see where we get.

If anybody else wants to jump in, you'd be welcome.

Cheers

        Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/apr/apr-configure/gump_work/buildscript_apr_apr-configure.html

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> this is a heads-up, Gump has run the buildconf and configure scripts
> for APR on its last run[1] and I'll try to get some minimal <make>
> builder working next week to see where we get.
>
> If anybody else wants to jump in, you'd be welcome.

good work! I've been toying with exactly the same stuff. In particular,
I'd like to get svn and all its main deps built by gump. I'll try to
gather some of my crap in the hope it might be somewhat useful....

- LSD

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>I'll try to get some minimal <make> builder working next week to see
>>where we get.
>
> I've created <configure> and <make> builders and will try them on some
> minimal test workspace of mine tomorrow (hard to do some real tests
> without anything but http and smtp).
>
> What I did was some monkey-see monkey.do and I won't pretend I
> actually know what I've done 8-)  But I've seen a lot of cut-n-paste
> reuse (and even added to it), maybe I'll read more than just "Dive
> into Python" some day.

:-D

> What seemed to be the unit tests (in the gump/test dir) turned out to
> not work (imports some gump,core stuff that is nowhere to find).  I
> realized that when I tried to write my own tests.

I got some of them to work for me the other day.....lemme try and fix
that...bummer. Not now...

> Leo, I vaguely recall you added some test stuff, any pointers where I
> should start for my own tests?

well, the current stuff in python/gump/test uses a custom unit testing
package instead of the standard python 'unittest'. I got halfway through
changing our existing tests to use unittest, but ran out of time. Maybe
I'll get to it this weekend.

I just committed a fix to the 'gump' script I'd been working on. Doing a

	cd ~/svn/gump/trunk
	svn up
	./gump experimental-tests

should give you an idea of how to start with setting up tests. This runs
stuff in the src/py directory, since we still need to fix
python/gump/test to work with the bin/testrunner.py script.

./gump test

doesn't work atm though :/

cheers,

LSD

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've created <configure> and <make> builders and will try them on
> some minimal test workspace of mine tomorrow (hard to do some real
> tests without anything but http and smtp).

It worked for me, so I committed what little I had.  The next Gump run
from trunk (about to start in less than five hours) should use
<configure> instead of <script> and run make on APR.

If everything looks fine, I'll merge my changes over to the live
branch.

Still there is a lot to do - we don't define outputs yet, for example.

> What seemed to be the unit tests (in the gump/test dir) turned out
> to not work (imports some gump,core stuff that is nowhere to find).
> I realized that when I tried to write my own tests.

This was my fault, since I rsynced the sources over to my iBook using
the -C option and thus the "core" directory wasn't there.  Duh.

No unit test, I simply tried a workspace consisting of APR and just
APR - builds within seven minutes on my oldish iBook.

BTW, does anybody know where I could find a precompiled pkill for OS X?
The version of GNU make I have doesn't seem to like the Makefile of
the sourceforge proctools tarball.

Stefan

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Peter Janes <pe...@liberate.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
>>My understanding of make is that you could do this:
>>
>><FLAG=blah> make <target> <parameters>
>>
>>So the ability to "make" needs to:
>>
>>- allow environment vars to be set before make
>>- allow zero or more targets
>>- allow other parameters
>
> target can already be done right now.

Ideally the variables and parameters could be defined by other Gump
properties, too:

<make target="all">
   <property name="DEPPATH" reference="home" project="depproject"/>
</make>

might run "make DEPPATH=/gump/path/to/depproject all".

>>Configure would be the same.
>
> Yes.

Ditto.
--
Sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective.
   --J. Michael Straczynski

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> If the parameter starts with a -, then it's white separated.

Yes, I think I'll prefer to look for - vs -- instead of single vs
multiple characters.

Stefan

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>><configure>
>>   <environment name="CFLAGS" value="-g" />
>>   <arg name="c" value="<blah>" /> <!-- becomes "-c <blah>" -->
>>   <arg name="prefix" value="<blah>" /> <!-- becomes "--prefix=<blah>" -->
>>   <rawarg name="-shared" /> <!-- becomes "-shared" -->
>></configure>
>

> I don't think I'd like the magic that's happening to distinguish the
> first two cases.  Yes, I am used to -x and --xlong myself, but it
> still looks non-obvious.

The trouble is the single character options tend to be separated from
their argument by whitespace, while multi character arguments tend to be
separated by an equals.

Perhaps you could have:

<arg name="-c" value="blah"> <!-- -c blah -->
<arg name="--prefix" value="/opt"> <!-- prefix=/opt -->
<arg name="-shared"> <!-- -shared -->

If the parameter starts with a -, then it's white separated. If it
starts with a --, it's equals separated. And if the attribute
"separator" is declared, you could set the separator to any string you
liked.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> My understanding of make is that you could do this:
>
> <FLAG=blah> make <target> <parameters>
>
> So the ability to "make" needs to:
>
> - allow environment vars to be set before make
> - allow zero or more targets
> - allow other parameters

target can already be done right now.

> Configure would be the same.

Yes.

My first focus is going to support parameters for configure since this
will solve most issues we have, at least I expect that.  We always add
more stuff later on (maybe my Python skills improve over time as well
8-).

> Thing is autoconf, automake, configure, make, etc are all just
> scripts, it would be nice to have a generic script runner too.

We have, we use it for buildconf right now.  It doesn't support
arguments, though.  Not yet.

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> You must have missed my first post which said we could already do that
> ;-)

Been playing mail catch up :)

> Starting with the next public Gump run all Gump runs will run
> ./buildconf, ./configure and make on APR.  Until then they stopped
> before invoking make.

Ok cool!

>>>* A way to tell the httpd where to look for APR
>>
>>./configure --prefix=<dest> would install APR into <dest>,
>

> Ah, OK, makes sense.  I should spend more work on <configure> instead
> of <make> then.

My understanding of make is that you could do this:

<FLAG=blah> make <target> <parameters>

So the ability to "make" needs to:

- allow environment vars to be set before make
- allow zero or more targets
- allow other parameters

Configure would be the same.

>>we would just need a way to tell ./configure where <dest> is in a
>>system independant way.

> Does <dest> need to exist?

No, it will be created if it doesn't exist (access control willing).

> If not, this is rather simple, something like
>
> <configure>
>   <arg name="prefix" value="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
> </configure>

Thing is autoconf, automake, configure, make, etc are all just scripts,
it would be nice to have a generic script runner too.

 From the above, maybe something like this could handle the possiblity
of setting environment variables at the same time:

<configure>
   <environment name="CFLAGS" value="-g" />
   <arg name="c" value="<blah>" /> <!-- becomes "-c <blah>" -->
   <arg name="prefix" value="<blah>" />  <!-- becomes "--prefix=<blah>" -->
   <rawarg name="-shared" /> <!-- becomes "-shared" -->
</configure>

The "rawarg" I added above could handle the case where a script's args
don't follow the pattern "single letter options are like so: -c; multi
letter options are like so: --create". The example is gcc's "gcc -shared".

> could be created to install it to a local directory - and the we'd
> have something like
> <http://gump.apache.org/metadata/builder.html#property> for apr-util's
> <configure> to tell it where to look for APR.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

>> Right now I think we need two things:
>> * a way to allow Gump to invoke make
>>   This I'll try to work on.  Given my close-to-non-existant Python
>>   skills
>>   and that you declared you'd be at the same level a while back,
>>   there probably isn't much of handholding I could offer.  The
>>   blind leading the one-eyed or so.
>
> We also need a way to run ./configure, and possibly other scripts
> like ./buildconf.

You must have missed my first post which said we could already do that
;-)

Starting with the next public Gump run all Gump runs will run
./buildconf, ./configure and make on APR.  Until then they stopped
before invoking make.

>> * A way to tell the httpd where to look for APR
>
> ./configure --prefix=<dest> would install APR into <dest>,

Ah, OK, makes sense.  I should spend more work on <configure> instead
of <make> then.

> we would just need a way to tell ./configure where <dest> is in a
> system independant way.

Does <dest> need to exist?

If not, this is rather simple, something like

<configure>
  <arg name="prefix" value="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
</configure>

could be created to install it to a local directory - and the we'd
have something like
<http://gump.apache.org/metadata/builder.html#property> for apr-util's
<configure> to tell it where to look for APR.

<property> is to Ant (or Java) centric, though.  I guess <arg> would
be the correct name for <configure>.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> export CVSROOT=:pserver:readonly@cvs.kaffe.org:/cvs/kaffe
> cvs login
> cvs checkout kaffe
> apt-get build-dep kaffe
> ./configure --with-jikes --prefix=/usr/local/gump-kaffe
> make
> make install
> make check

Except for apt-get and the options to configure, you can do that with
Gump already.

My next goal is to allow configure to take options of different kinds.
non-valued, with static values or with values based on other project
descriptors.  I'll likely steal from the way //project/ant/property
works.

Stefan

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
One more data point....here's what i had to do for kaffe. I'd like to
get kaffe to be built by gump as well.

export CVSROOT=:pserver:readonly@cvs.kaffe.org:/cvs/kaffe
cvs login
cvs checkout kaffe
apt-get build-dep kaffe
./configure --with-jikes --prefix=/usr/local/gump-kaffe
make
make install
make check

Thanks,
dims

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Re: Gump and APR

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> I'm keen to jump in to get httpd to build, both as source, and as an
> RPM (and other packing formats, as practical).

I know and I'm sorry for letting this sit for so long.

[...]

Posted by mi...@sharp.fm.
Hi,

> this is a heads-up, Gump has run the buildconf and configure scripts
> for APR on its last run[1] and I'll try to get some minimal <make>
> builder working next week to see where we get.
>
> If anybody else wants to jump in, you'd be welcome.

I'm keen to jump in to get httpd to build, both as source, and as an RPM
(and other packing formats, as practical).

I need some handholding though - if you could provide (or point out) a
guide of what I should do to get it working, I can then try and expand
what is there to httpd.

Regards,
Graham