Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kal inuganti <we...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/18 23:33:41 UTC

Java Question - Help Please

I am building a web based application using Tomcat. I have a TextArea in an HTML form. Users can copy and paste their resumes (source - Microsoft Word Docs) into this text area. The request is posted to a JSP, Struts Action Class (Any Java Class that can write to a database).

When I do a System.out.println(request.getParameter("resume")); I the special characters like bullets and quotes and a bunch of others are getting transformed to Question Marks. When I insert the resume into an Oracle Database (into a clob field) they are still being saved a question marks.
Experiment -
I have a JSP Page that displays the posted resume. It has 2 things -  1. It writes the request.getParameter("resume") to the HTML and this comes out fine - displays the special characters.  2. But when it writes the resume that is retrieved from the oracle database, i am getting back question marks.

I understand that Java uses unicode for character encoding/representation and I tried changing my HTML page's charset to UTF-8, ISO-8859-1. Both did not seem to fix my problem.  I understand that there are tons of websites that let users copy and paste their resumes that are stored in a database. How are these resumes stored and retrieved from a database using server side java? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-kal

Re: Java Question - Help Please

Posted by Holger Klawitter <li...@klawitter.de>.
Am Montag, 21. April 2003 17:44 schrieb George Sexton:
> I understand that Java uses unicode for character encoding/representation
> and I tried changing my HTML page's charset to UTF-8, ISO-8859-1. Both did
> not seem to fix my problem.  I understand that there are tons of websites
> that let users copy and paste their resumes that are stored in a database.
> How are these resumes stored and retrieved from a database using server
> side java? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You have to tell Oracle that you want to store/retrieve non ascii data. You
have to consult your Oracle manuals and/or the docs of your JDBC/ODBC
database driver you are using to connect to your oracle database.

Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards
	Holger Klawitter
--
lists@klawitter.de

RE: Java Question - Help Please