Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <se...@pisem.net> on 2003/06/10 23:19:35 UTC

Conflict when merging the same file to a branch

Hi All!

First of all, I have to thank you all very much and to say that we're
starting to roll out a (internal) production repository on Linux with
Windows clients (command-line and TortoiseSVN) and so far it's working
great! It's a little sluggish but I think part of it is SSL, and part of
it is all these issues hammered out on this list, which are more about
how to deal with Berkeley DB and HTTP than about version control itself,
so we can handle live with them.

There's one small question. The server runs 0.23.0+ (checked out around
3 AM June 9th, I can't tell revision from checkout log that I saved, it
used to provide "checked out revision ..." in the past) with Apache 2.1
recent HEAD, clients use latest available Subversion binaries for
Windows and latest available TortoiseSVN. I didn't set
ssl-ignore-unknown-ca at first and was replying `y' to all prompts about
this. Most of the commands ask the question only once, but `merge'
doesn't. In fact, "merge" was kind of running ahead of itself and
displayed the prompt maybe five times, and it kind of asked it twice
sometimes without waiting for my answer (although I didn't touch the
keyboard at that moment, and previous questions were answered `y'), so
the merges were failing. I mention this because it looks like merge is
somehow different from the rest of the pack in that regard, maybe that
can hint at some real problem.

Also (I don't want to bother this this but maybe you'll find it
interesting), during the merge operation, some files were indented two
spaces from first (status) character (A, U), and some -- eight spaces. I
was under impression that these are quite important, so Is that normal?

Again, thank you and have a good day!

Sergey.

Re: Conflict when merging the same file to a branch

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
"Sergey A. Lipnevich" <se...@pisem.net> writes:

> Also (I don't want to bother this this but maybe you'll find it
> interesting), during the merge operation, some files were indented two
> spaces from first (status) character (A, U), and some -- eight
> spaces. I was under impression that these are quite important, so Is
> that normal?

It's normal (as in "expected"), but broken.  It's basically the result
of some code abstraction, where the abstracted code generates
notification messages.  Problem is that the notification messages need
to be different for the various operations that are calling this
common code.  We just need to take some time to iron out some bumps in
our notification scheme.

Re: Conflict when merging the same file to a branch

Posted by "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <se...@pisem.net>.
Thank you Michael, I'll definitely check this out! I'm only accessing
internal LAN repository right now, our internal DNS maps the address to
the server without ever leaving the LAN. I still have to figure out the
best way of educating fellow developers abut this certificate issue.
Although, you know, nothing is more persistent than temporary solution
(sigh) :-).

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
[snip]

--