Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/02 15:43:57 UTC

[YOKO][DISCUSS] Time to create a 1.0 release?

I've recently completed an activity on seeing if we could get the IBM
ObjectGrid product working with the Yoko ORB.  This is a BIG CORBA
application that rooted out quite a number of fringe bugs in the Yoko
ORB.  The testing effort involved no just interactions between a yoko
client and server, but also in different client/server combinations with
the IBM ORB (ObjectGrid has some problems running on the Sun ORB at the
moment, so that interoperability was not tested).  In the process of
debugging these problems, I also added quite a bit of additional logging
to the core orb.  Things are looking pretty good and stable at this point.

Currently, Geronimo is shipping using a pinned snapshot of the yoko code
rather than an official release.  Harmony is picking up SNAPSHOT builds,
I believe.  I think it is time to consider publishing the 1.0 release so
there's finally an official release level to work from.  I currently
don't have any work items I feel need to be done before a 1.0 release
can get created.  I have a number of items I think need to get improved
what I'd prefer doing after we cut a 1.0 release.  Does anybody else
know of additional items that might be required for the 1.0 release?

Rick

Re: [YOKO][DISCUSS] Time to create a 1.0 release?

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
Gianny Damour wrote:
> Hello Rick,
>
> Sorry, this is not directly related to your question. What kind of
> integration with ObjectGrid have you been working on? FWIW, I am
> working on a hierarchical, transactional, distributed, partitioned and
> replicated cache and data-grid solution as part of WADI and I am quite
> interested by this topic these days.
No real integration work, just helping the ObjectGrid developers with
Yoko fixes when they attempt to run using the Yoko ORB.

Rick

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Hello Rick,

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Rick McGuire wrote:
> I've recently completed an activity on seeing if we could get the IBM
> ObjectGrid product working with the Yoko ORB.  This is a BIG CORBA
> application that rooted out quite a number of fringe bugs in the Yoko
> ORB.  The testing effort involved no just interactions between a yoko
> client and server, but also in different client/server combinations with
> the IBM ORB (ObjectGrid has some problems running on the Sun ORB at the
> moment, so that interoperability was not tested).  In the process of
> debugging these problems, I also added quite a bit of additional logging
> to the core orb.  Things are looking pretty good and stable at this point.
> Currently, Geronimo is shipping using a pinned snapshot of the yoko code
> rather than an official release.  Harmony is picking up SNAPSHOT builds,
> I believe.  I think it is time to consider publishing the 1.0 release so
> there's finally an official release level to work from.  I currently
> don't have any work items I feel need to be done before a 1.0 release
> can get created.  I have a number of items I think need to get improved
> what I'd prefer doing after we cut a 1.0 release.  Does anybody else
> know of additional items that might be required for the 1.0 release?
>
> Rick

+1 for an official release.  We need to eliminate our private builds and
pinned versions in G.

Joe

Re: [YOKO][DISCUSS] Time to create a 1.0 release?

Posted by Lars Kühne <la...@t-online.de>.
> I think it is time to consider publishing the 1.0 release so
> there's finally an official release level to work from.  I currently don't
> have any work items I feel need to be done before a 1.0 release can get
> created.  I have a number of items I think need to get improved what I'd
> prefer doing after we cut a 1.0 release.  Does anybody else know of
> additional items that might be required for the 1.0 release?

I'd be happy with a release, nothing that requires immediate attention.

Lars

Re: [YOKO][DISCUSS] Time to create a 1.0 release?

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Looks ready to me for an official 1.0 release.

-Donald

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 2, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> I've recently completed an activity on seeing if we could get the
> IBM ObjectGrid product working with the Yoko ORB.  This is a BIG
> CORBA application that rooted out quite a number of fringe bugs in
> the Yoko ORB.  The testing effort involved no just interactions
> between a yoko client and server, but also in different client/
> server combinations with the IBM ORB (ObjectGrid has some problems
> running on the Sun ORB at the moment, so that interoperability was
> not tested).  In the process of debugging these problems, I also
> added quite a bit of additional logging to the core orb.  Things are
> looking pretty good and stable at this point.
> Currently, Geronimo is shipping using a pinned snapshot of the yoko
> code rather than an official release.  Harmony is picking up
> SNAPSHOT builds, I believe.  I think it is time to consider
> publishing the 1.0 release so there's finally an official release
> level to work from.  I currently don't have any work items I feel
> need to be done before a 1.0 release can get created.  I have a
> number of items I think need to get improved what I'd prefer doing
> after we cut a 1.0 release.  Does anybody else know of additional
> items that might be required for the 1.0 release?

I'd love to see a 1.0 release.

--kevan