Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> on 2013/07/10 12:03:48 UTC

Migration of User Settings from OOo3 to AOO4.0

Hi all,

the first start wizard has an option to migrate user settings from an
installed version 3. For me it is a highly customized OOo3.4.1.

These are my observations:

Transfer of BASIC libraries works.

Transfer of path settings does not work. I consider this a bug, because
this "looses" templates, autotexts .., which are not at the default
place. I suggest a release note to explain, that they are not really
lost, but the paths have to be added.

Transfer of palettes work. But that is a problem, because the new color
palette is not available. People might have customized palettes, with
colors for corporate identity for example. So transferring the palettes
is not wrong in general. Perhaps a merging of the palettes is possible
in future? Because of the short time till release I suggest to explain
the situation in a release note. The new default palettes are available
in a folder "User - Kopie" (for a German Windows 7).

Transfer of user dictionaries work.

Transfer of user gallery themes work.

Transfer of user autotexts works.

Transfer of own toolbars works, including rename of commands. Only the
position is different.

Transfer of customized toolbars works partially. Additional commands are
available, but own names of these commands are not transfered. The
show/hide status of the default commands is not transfered. Deleted
default commands appear again. So the user needs to customize the
toolbar again.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Migration of User Settings from OOo3 to AOO4.0

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 21/07/2013 Regina Henschel wrote:
> Andrea Pescetti schrieb:
>> If we can give some detailed user-friendly instructions in the Release
>> notes at
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Release+Notes
>> on how to import the new 4.0 palette after installation it would be
>> great.
> I had already added an item to the "Known Issues" section. Please try
> the way and improve the description if it is not user-friendly.

Thanks, the procedure worked perfectly. I added the other symptom (i.e.,
that you see some color names in English; this means you are still using
the old palette).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Migration of User Settings from OOo3 to AOO4.0

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Andrea,

Andrea Pescetti schrieb:
> On 10/07/2013 Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Transfer of palettes work. But that is a problem, because the new color
>> palette is not available. People might have customized palettes, with
>> colors for corporate identity for example. So transferring the palettes
>> is not wrong in general. Perhaps a merging of the palettes is possible
>> in future? Because of the short time till release I suggest to explain
>> the situation in a release note. The new default palettes are available
>> in a folder "User - Kopie" (for a German Windows 7).
>
> Can we elaborate on this? We are receving reports that, depending on
> what you choose in "Transfer personal data", you get:
> - Unchecked: the new palette is installed and works
> - Checked: the new palette is invisible, the old one is shown, and not
> all color names in the old one are translated (perhaps since they got
> replaced)
>
> If we can give some detailed user-friendly instructions in the Release
> notes at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Release+Notes
> on how to import the new 4.0 palette after installation it would be great.

I had already added an item to the "Known Issues" section. Please try
the way and improve the description if it is not user-friendly.

> I'm not opening a Bugzilla issue since this seems more a documentation
> issue... What users will notice is that some colors have English names.
> And the answer should be "Please import the new 4.0 palette:
> [instructions]".

It might be, that switching to the new palette is not wanted. For
example an enterprise, that has corporate identity colors in their
palette. The correct solution would be a separate tool to merge colors
and/or an easier way to switch palettes.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi

On 10.07.2013 12:03, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the first start wizard has an option to migrate user settings from an
> installed version 3. For me it is a highly customized OOo3.4.1.
>
> These are my observations:
>
> Transfer of BASIC libraries works.
>
> Transfer of path settings does not work. I consider this a bug, because
> this "looses" templates, autotexts .., which are not at the default
> place. I suggest a release note to explain, that they are not really
> lost, but the paths have to be added.
>
> Transfer of palettes work. But that is a problem, because the new color
> palette is not available. People might have customized palettes, with
> colors for corporate identity for example. So transferring the palettes
> is not wrong in general. Perhaps a merging of the palettes is possible
> in future? Because of the short time till release I suggest to explain
> the situation in a release note. The new default palettes are available
> in a folder "User - Kopie" (for a German Windows 7).
>
> Transfer of user dictionaries work.
>
> Transfer of user gallery themes work.
>
> Transfer of user autotexts works.
>
> Transfer of own toolbars works, including rename of commands. Only the
> position is different.
>
> Transfer of customized toolbars works partially. Additional commands are
> available, but own names of these commands are not transfered. The
> show/hide status of the default commands is not transfered. Deleted
> default commands appear again. So the user needs to customize the
> toolbar again.

Thanks for this evaluation.
I would like to improve the migration of OpenOffice 3.x user profiles
for the next release.

Regina, it would be great, if you could create corresponding issues for
the stuff that is not working or which could be improved. You can assign
these issue to me. May a meta issue for tracking these new issues would
also make sense. And if you could also make your AOO 3.4.1 user profile
available - may be only to me - for debugging and testing purposes then
this would be also very appreciated.

Best regards, Oliver.