Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Greg Saylor <we...@net-virtual.com> on 1998/09/04 01:35:10 UTC

mod_auth-any/2951: .htaccess in virtual host directory doesn't seem to be parsed correctly.

>Number:         2951
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       .htaccess in virtual host directory doesn't seem to be parsed correctly.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have a virtual server at /opt/htdocs/test and a URL of test.blah.com.  When I
go to http://test.blah.com I pull up the index.html document just fine and can
also retrieve a "passwd" file in the same directory.  For example:
http://test.blah.com/passwd will list my passwd file.   This is a copy of my
htaccess file:

<Files *>
deny from all
</Files>
<Files ~ "/|(index|test)\.html">
allow from all
</Files>

My access.conf shows:

<Directory /opt/htdocs/test>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI MultiViews
AllowOverride All
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

If this is not a bug, I have been unable to find any documentation or
assistance in resolving this so please offer the correct method for
accomplishing this.   Specifically telling it to deny access to that file
does work, it's like it's ignoring the <Files *> directive because if I change
it to:
<Files passwd>

it does deny access to the passwd file....

Thanks for all your help and providing such a great product.  I've had to ask
for help one other time and the response was excellent!   If I am just not
understanding this properly or if Apache is designed to work this way, that's
fine but please let me know how (if at all) I can accomplish this goal for
my client...