Posted to dev@zipkin.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/16 01:59:09 UTC

Migrating Implementors docs to our wiki

Hi, Folks.

Back in the day Zipkin had a workshop where we inventoried site
documents about deployments.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B0tSnQT3uGdAflJLdEFhVzl6dEtrN0tPOFhmclFpOFJ5a01nZnFZaXdxdUJ2TUJfOGxhWUE

The above has content beyond Zipkin, so I'll limit this discussion to
docs about zipkin sites (whether it was instrumentation or backend
related).

One problem we had with google docs was that users in China cannot
read them without a VPN. Also, it is in an awkward type of place. We
routinely are asked about site practice in gitter, and no-one knows to
look here until we tell them.

I suggest we migrate all of the Zipkin related stories to our wiki
under a "Implementors" section. This should also help people find
their way to other documents around our community such as current
workshops.

Anyone have feedback against this?

Best,
-A

Re: Migrating Implementors docs to our wiki

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
> One of my concern do we need to get the user approve to use their information?

So the folks that shared the information on google drive did so
deliberately. For example, I created a doc for them to populate.. they
controlled the content. There was no "redistribution" clause or
licensing of that content beyond the understanding that this was
intentionally being made public for people to share.

Somewhat unusual to tracing, zipkin contributors are mostly site
owners, not vendor employees. Most docs published are by people who
also contribute code to Zipkin. Raja (a site owner and I think
committer by now) has already migrated his own content.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=95651348

Hence, I think we can likely get most of these moved even if we don't
move on behalf of folks. That said, I do think it would be easier to
move on behalf of folks...

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
The user story is great assert of Open Source Community.
Moving them to the wiki could help more user to learn about the user
scenarios and inspire them to find new solution for their system.

One of my concern do we need to get the user approve to use their information?

Regards,

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem