Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by RA...@statestreet.com on 2001/10/15 20:19:22 UTC

IBM Portal Server

My manager is trying to push IBM's Portal Server which uses Jetspeed and
Turbine. What argument can I make with him not to go with this product and
to use Jetspeed alone?

RE: IBM Portal Server

Posted by Ming Fai <mi...@hongkong.com>.
It all depends on your requirement. I see the issue in this way: Jetspeed
provide certain functionalities, IBM portal server provides additional
features. (and cost a lot more, certainly) The question is whether the
additional features provide sufficient Ruturn On Investment (ROI).  If the
additional features are in your requirement, then it may meet the ROI and
you should go with IBM.  Otherwise, if you think the additional features do
not outweigh the cost. (i.e. it doesn't meet the ROI) Then you give reasons
for why the additional features are not useful, why and how Jetspeed provide
sufficient features, or why IBM provides good extra features but is too
expensive etc.

In fact, you've presumed it is better for your manager to pick Jetspeed
instead of IBM. I personally love Jetspeed more than IBM's portal server.
But in business scenario, I would consider more, I believe IBM's product
provides shorter deployment time, better scaliability, easiler
administration, better integration w/ IBM's products etc. If these are your
requirement, then it may be better for you to turn to support your boss.
Otherwise, just give him the reasons and help him to safe $!

pls take a look at Thomas Schaeck's message about IBM's features or call an
IBM sales to explain to you.

regards,
mingfai