Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2006/09/13 13:40:51 UTC

Releasing JK 1.2.19

Hi,

Seems we had a pretty long test window.
Can we schedule the release by the end of this week?
Rainer, are you still willing to act as the RM for 1.2.19?

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/06, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:
> Anything in the mod_jk log?

[error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1879): (pepper7) Connecting to
tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the
wrong port

Tomcat is running, the mod_jk log level was set to error

> You mean "first hit" after restart, or after a time of inactivity?

I typically have this happen in the morning after Tomcat has
restarted. I wonder if I'm running into a ping/pong timeout which
occurs because Tomcat has been swapped out after nightly activity. I
should try increasing that value (set to 500ms).

In fact after thinking about it, I am just about 100% sure this is the
problem (machine could use more memory, I see swap space in use and
swap page/in activity when I received the error), thanks for pointing
me in the right direction.

1.2.19-dev looks good then, except for 1 minor nit:

It would be nice if jkstatus had descriptions for the values of Act
and Stat columns.

-Dave

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
This is not a known feature.

Anything in the mod_jk log?
You mean "first hit" after restart, or after a time of inactivity?
Platform? Server version?

The new svn HEAD code gives the ability to log useful state info of the
LB in the access logs, so you can more easily find out, how often and
when these things happen.

Until we release 1.2.19 you can find the most recent code under

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-1.2.19-dev/

and some hints about this new logging feature on

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-1.2.19-dev/docs/config/apache.html

(look for "mod_log_config" there).

We should continue this on the users list.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
I updated the testing snapshot tarball after Peters report, and set the
link to a more durable

Peters observation concerning mod_jk forced recovery

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Thanks for the report:

The new forced recovery feature tried to do that in case all workers
went into ERROR state in two places: after request processing and during
maintenance.

After request processing it relied on a condition that evaluated to
false in all cases, so it basically never happened there, only during
maintenance.

I hope my three latest commits fixed it. So if all workers are really in
error during request processing, the request gets a second chance on
them, indepependently from the point in time when the workers went into
error. If tomcat is still down/in error, after request processing all
workers will end up being in error.

For the maintenance part, I changed it from checking during every
process maintenance, to checking only during global maintenance. If the
request part is correct, it should never be necessary during
maintenance, since the request part already handles it, whenever it's
necessary. Dropping the maintenance part might only result in slightly
different logging messages and a different view in jkstatus. But even
without the maintenance part, recovery should happen immediate, whenever
a request comes in and all workers are in error.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hi Mladen and Rainer,

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Build works on i5/OS v5R3, I'm waiting now for its activation by my IT team.

Regards

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/14/06, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> wrote:
> David Rees wrote:
>> OK. I would propose that adding a new feature that allows you to map
>> all requests matching .*;jsessionid=.* to mod_jk would be a worthy
>> feature. I am willing to work on a patch if no mod_jk developers are
>> interested. Should I open an enhancement request?
>
> Please open a Bugzilla for an enhancement request.
>
> Thanks for pointing it out.

In case you missed my comment to bug 40151, I can confirm that the new
functionality provided in 1.2.19 works great. Thanks!

-Dave

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
David Rees wrote:
> Ok, I'm pretty sure this is a real bug (though not a new one, mod_jk
> back to 1.2.15 behaves the same).

This not an bug.

> I'm using this config in Apache:
>
> JkMount /*.jsp tomcatlb
> <LocationMatch "/.*;jsessionid=.*">
>  JkMount tomcatlb
> </LocationMatch>

Have you tried?

<LocationMatch "/.*;jsessionid=.*">

Re: Releasing JK 1.2.19

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I'm pretty sure this is a real bug (though not a new one, mod_jk
back to 1.2.15 behaves the same).

I'm using this config in Apache:

JkMount /*.jsp tomcatlb
<LocationMatch "/.*;jsessionid=.*">
  JkMount tomcatlb
</LocationMatch>

The goal of this example to have Tomcat serve all .jsp files and URL
which looks like it has been rewritten with the session id.

But the problem is that the LocationMatch directive isn't parsed the
same by mod_jk as it is by Apache. You would expect that any URL which
matches the LocationMatch would immediately be sent to Tomcat, but
instead it appears to behave the same as a JkMount directive.

So the above configuration is handled the same as

JkMount /*.jsp tomcatlb
JkMount "/.*;jsessionid=.*" tomcatlb

Naturally since mod_jk strips off the jsessionid before matching, it
doesn't work.

Not to mention that the Apache Regexp doesn't work the same as a
JkMount expression. For example,

JkMount /*.jsp tomcatlb

does not behave the same as

<LocationMatch "/.*\.jsp">
 JkMount tomcatlb
</LocationMatch>

but does behave the same as

<LocationMatch "/*.jsp">
 JkMount tomcatlb
</LocationMatch>

This is very confusing if you were trying to use the LocationMatch for
example to set some other Apache directives you would not get the
result you expected.

The only way I know to get mod_jk to send *.jsp and anything with
;jsessionid in it to Tomcat and let Tomcat serve the other content is
to do a JkMount /* and then JkUnMount for all file types you can think
of, but that is a big hassle when you have a lot of virtualhosts to
configure and still doesn't quite let you do what you really want.

Bug 40151 is related to this issue.

It would be nice if you could set a JkMountJSessionId directive that
would automatically match any URLs which look like they have been URL
rewritten.

-Dave