Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/01/26 00:49:28 UTC

[Numbers] Where do we stand?

Hello.

JIRA lists 12 unresolved issues for the v1.0 target.

After quite a lot of nice work, nearly zero activity in
the last 6 months...

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Where do we stand?

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 6:46 PM, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> On Jan 31, 2018, at 5:55 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:04:50 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:

>>> So, to resolve this I should remove some of the Complex libraries from
>>> math-4
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> or math-3.x
>>
>> No. [Branch "MATH_3_X" is way too old.]
>
> It feels a bit heavy handed to call the branch containing the latest release “old.” Sure we have substantive work that’s diverged from that branch, but it still remains the latest publicly available consumable artifact and thus warrants minimally security fixes if not considerably value.

Pardon I missed the bit about where we lift code from. Makes sense then.

Re: [Numbers] Where do we stand?

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Numbers] Where do we stand?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:04:50 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 2:25 PM, Gilles
> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric.
>>
>> It would be great if we could either resolve the following issues
>> or have a path forward for them that would not block the release
>> of "Commons Numbers":
>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1445
>

> So, to resolve this I should remove some of the Complex libraries
> from
> math-4

Yes.

Re: [Numbers] Where do we stand?

Posted by Eric Barnhill <er...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi Eric.
>
> It would be great if we could either resolve the following issues
> or have a path forward for them that would not block the release
> of "Commons Numbers":
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1445

So, to resolve this I should remove some of the Complex libraries from
math-4 or math-3.x and replace them with a dependency on Numbers? Just want
to check if I understand. Not all of the old numbers functionality was
brought over (e.g. ComplexField). Also how does this impede release of
Numbers.

Re: [Numbers] Where do we stand?

Re: [Numbers] Where do we stand?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi Eric.

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:29:50 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> First of all, AFAICT, none of the issues I worked on have ever been
> marked
> "resolved".

As a matter of principle, no issue can be "resolved" if it would
imply a code change and said change was not merged into the "master"
branch.

My understanding was that you had been working on a separate branch
for the porting work, and I was assuming that you were going to
merge it into "master" whenever you deemed it right.
We discussed a few things and I don't recall that we disagreed on
anything for "Complex"; IIRC, I only had some reservation about the
performance of the numerous methods in "ComplexUtils".  When nobody
objects within say 2 weeks, then no need to wait forever before
merging since you have committer access!

> I don't believe I have the power to mark them this way myself.

If further progress is blocked by something beyond your reach, you
should not hesitate to ping this list as many times as necessary. ;-)
I remember that there was a problem with changing the state of JIRA
issues; I also seem to recall that I relayed it here since I didn't
have the privilege for fixing it.  If the problem persisted, would
you please post again here a message that describes it?

Best regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Where do we stand?

Posted by Eric Barnhill <er...@gmail.com>.
First of all, AFAICT, none of the issues I worked on have ever been marked
"resolved". I don't believe I have the power to mark them this way myself.