Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Zoran | Bax-shop.nl" <zo...@bax-shop.nl> on 2011/12/22 16:02:27 UTC

Hardware resource indication

Hello,

What are (ballpark figure) the hardware requirement (diskspace, memory) SOLR will use i this case:

*         Heavy Dutch traffic webshop, 30.000 - 50.000 visitors a day

*         Visitors relying heavily on the search engine of the site

o   3.000.000 - 5.000.000 searches a day

*         Around 20.000 products to be indexed. In an XML this is around 22 MB in size

o   Around 100-200 products that will need reindexing everyday because of copyrighters

*         About 20 fields to be indexed per document (product)

*         Using many features of SOLR

o   Boosting queries

o   Faceted search (price ranges, categories, in stock, etc.)

o   Spellchecker

o   Suggester (completion)

o   Phonectic search

o   ...

The current index directory is around 20 MB, but that's my testing environment. On my testing server indexing the 20K documents took under 10 seconds.

I tried to be as comprehensive as possible with these specs. Hopefully it's enough to make an estimation.

Thanks,

ZB

Re: Hardware resource indication

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Zoran,

These numbers are all pretty small, so you will be fine even with a pair of "average servers" - it looks like everything will fit in RAM even if you have only 2 GB of it.
245 QPS is not trivial, but with everything in RAM I believe even on modest hardware you will be just fine.

Otis
----

Performance Monitoring SaaS for Solr - http://sematext.com/spm/solr-performance-monitoring/index.html

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Zoran | Bax-shop.nl <
zoran.birac@bax-shop.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What are (ballpark figure) the hardware requirement (diskspace, memory)
> SOLR will use i this case:
>

> *         Heavy Dutch traffic webshop, 30.000 - 50.000 visitors a day

Unique users doesn't much matter.

> *         Visitors relying heavily on the search engine of the site
> o   3.000.000 - 5.000.000 searches a day

This is what matters.

Assume 20,000 seconds per day (less than the real number by 4x, but allows
for peak rates).  That gives about 250 queries / second.

Is this rate growing?

> *         Around 20.000 products to be indexed. In an XML this is around
> 22 MB in size
> o   Around 100-200 products that will need reindexing everyday because of
> copyrighters

This is small enough to not much matter.

> *         About 20 fields to be indexed per document (product)
> *         Using many features of SOLR
> o   Boosting queries
> o   Faceted search (price ranges, categories, in stock, etc.)
> o   Spellchecker
> o   Suggester (completion)
> o   Phonectic search

Just make sure that you are serving search results from memory, not disk.

> The current index directory is around 20 MB, but that's my testing
> environment. On my testing server indexing the 20K documents took under 10
> seconds.

Nice.

> I tried to be as comprehensive as possible with these specs. Hopefully
> it's enough to make an estimation.

So the next step is to build a test rig and see how many queries per second
each server will handle.  Since your index is small, this should be pretty
easy.  The required rate of 250 queries/s should be pretty easy to achieve.
 Nothing will substitute for a real test here.

You should make sure you have staging / spare hardware and room to grow if
necessary.