Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/02 12:59:49 UTC

Trying Maven v4

Hi,
If I want to start testing maven v4.x is it the master branch or the mvn4
branch I need to build?
Or is there a guide I can look at with current/known issues or work arounds?

I've a few issues/features I would like to raise and see if I can do
patches for, mostly more profile options like for;
settings.xml profile support for servers and mirrors.
extensions.xml profile support for extensions.
profile activation based upon other profiles being active or disabled.

i.e. the com.soebes.maven.extensions:maven-buildtime-profiler is good to
look into high build times, but for day to day usage I don't want every
developer or cicd build with the extra overhead or verbose output. Just
want it on release builds or when a developer enables a specific profile.

Someone with a home office nexus so has a <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf> to their
own proxy, then whilst at a conference want to build they need to change
their default settings.xml to remove that mirror. I've 4 settings.xml
depending if home, travelling, in office or building from a maven staging
repo like maven-1731 (for surefire v3.0.0-M6).

All things just seam simpler switching different profiles.

Cheers,
John

Re: Trying Maven v4

Posted by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org>.
On 02/04/2022 15:19, Tibor Digana wrote:
> AFAIK, maven 4 is just a prototype.
>
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 3:00 PM John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> If I want to start testing maven v4.x is it the master branch or the mvn4
>> branch I need to build?
>> Or is there a guide I can look at with current/known issues or work
>> arounds?

Official answer: you could build Maven 4 yourself - get the code from
GitHub [1] or GitBox [2] and run mvn package.

Unofficial answer: you can find pre-built packages on Jenkins [3].

Even less official answer: I've published a Homebrew tap [4] that
automates the Jenkins approach for you, and I know Martin has published
a Chocolatey package [5] that does a similar thing. Both fetch the
latest successful build from Jenkins and install it. I've been using the
Homebrew tap for over a year now, and I haven't had any significant
problems. It installs nicely along an existing Maven installation. In my
case, the Maven 4 snapshot is the default, but using a shell aliases I
can easily use Maven 3.8.5 instead:

    alias mvn3="/usr/local/Cellar/maven/3.8.5/bin/mvn"
    alias mvn4="mvn"

Hope this helps,

Maarten

>> I've a few issues/features I would like to raise and see if I can do
>> patches for, mostly more profile options like for;
>> settings.xml profile support for servers and mirrors.
>> extensions.xml profile support for extensions.
>> profile activation based upon other profiles being active or disabled.
>>
>> i.e. the com.soebes.maven.extensions:maven-buildtime-profiler is good to
>> look into high build times, but for day to day usage I don't want every
>> developer or cicd build with the extra overhead or verbose output. Just
>> want it on release builds or when a developer enables a specific profile.
>>
>> Someone with a home office nexus so has a <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf> to their
>> own proxy, then whilst at a conference want to build they need to change
>> their default settings.xml to remove that mirror. I've 4 settings.xml
>> depending if home, travelling, in office or building from a maven staging
>> repo like maven-1731 (for surefire v3.0.0-M6).
>>
>> All things just seam simpler switching different profiles.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven
[2] https://maven.apache.org/scm.html (you'll only need Maven Core)