Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Yves Vindevogel <yv...@implements.be> on 2005/03/11 21:03:38 UTC

Dynamic connection to databases

Hi,

I have several clients in a webapp.  Each client has a seperate
database, but all databases are made with the same script, so the
structure is identical, only the records vary.

When I want Cocoon to connect to a database, I make an entry in my
cocoon.xconf file, in the datasources.  Then, in ESQL, I can connect
giving the pool name ...

Is there a way I can avoid adding the pool in the cocoon.xconf file.

Problem is that I need to restart Tomcat all the time to get this file
read and my pool available, but then I'm shutting down other customers
too (ok, just a few seconds, ...) and that's what I want to avoid.

If this is not possible, can I make an entry in some sort of file and
have my config up again without having to restart the system ?

Yves

Re: Dynamic connection to databases

Posted by Mark Lowe <me...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure how useful this answer is as it doesn't fit very well
with the idea that mulpile sites are hosted in a single webapp
ideology that cocoon follows (at least thats my understanding). But
separting your sites into seperate webapps will allow you to have your
sites run in separate jvms, in fact as separate users (thats what i do
to allow each user to start and stop his/her jvm).

The downside to this is that you'll need all the cocoon dependencies
in each webapp's lib directory (unless the classloader of the
container you use can load from a more central place) and you cant
share config resources between sites (I'd say this was better design
anyway). The advantage is that you don't into trouble when you stop
and start apps, also if one servlet (cocoon servlet) this doesn't mean
all your sites die.

Alernatively you can have all your cocoon apps running in one jvm and
perhaps reload individual apps (tomcat manager for example), but I
wouldn't recommend this as if the app dies during reload all your apps
will (out of memory errors etc).

Mark

Posted by Yves Vindevogel <yv...@implements.be>.

Posted by Petko Petkov <p....@gmail.com>.
I belive that you can restart just cocoon.

Good luck!

SiteMinder and Cocoon

Posted by ni...@in.pwc.com.
Hi All,

Can anyone help me with authentication in Cocoon using SiteMinder ?

Thanks & regards,
Niraj Agarwal

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.

Re: Dynamic connection to databases

Posted by Lionel Barth <lb...@hachette-livre.fr>.
Hi,

You can use <esql:driver>, <esql:dburl>, <esql:username>and
<esql:password> instead of <esql:connection>.

You can have a  little logic to  retrieve the various values according
to the client.

Regards,
Lionel