Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2019/09/26 00:30:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Small contributions

I noticed this exchange in https://github.com/apache/calcite/pull/1475: <https://github.com/apache/calcite/pull/1475:>

> Q. Just curious, does Calcite accept hotfix style PR that fixes typos, comments, etc.?

> A. As long as they are large enough. But for 1 line typo fix, it is not worth a specific patch, we prefer to accumulate them together.

This is indeed our current position. And the reason we have given is that it takes considerable effort to review and commit a pull request, even a small one.

Should we reconsider this position?

Julian

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Small contributions

Posted by Rui Wang <am...@apache.org>.
Agree with Francis's point: people are likely to move on than accumulating
enough to have a larger PR to merge, which does not help improve Calcite's
codebase. I understand it would increase the workload on Calcite committers
(more PRs to review), so at least code reviewers can always encourage
people to have a larger PR in the future, but not block existing LGTM ones.

- Rui

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the encouragement, Albert. I fight every day to get people to write commit messages that are clearer, more concise, and more meaningful to non-technical users. I can imagine that it is not too pleasant for each code contributor who is on the receiving end of my criticism. But I am glad that you appreciate the results.

I think it would be OK if we end up with a commit log that looks like this:

* [CALCITE-3374] Error format check result for explain plan as json (Wang Yanlin)
* Improve comment
* [CALCITE-3363] JoinUnionTransposeRule.RIGHT_UNION should not match SEMI/ANTI Join (Jin Xing)
* Fix a typo
* [CALCITE-3323] Add mode to SqlValidator that treats statements as valid if they contain unknown functions (Ryan Fu)
* [CALCITE-3370] In JDBC adapter for Microsoft SQL Server, emulate NULLS FIRST using CASE expression (Justin Swett)
* [CALCITE-3369] In LatticeSuggester, recommend lattices based on UNION queries
* Improve READMEs and release howto instructions
* [CALCITE-3365] Don't require use of JdbcSchema in QuerySqlStatisticProvider (Lindsey Meyer)

That’s the real commit log with two hypothetical commits "Improve comment” and "Fix a typo” added. "Improve READMEs and release howto instructions” is a real commit from Stamatis. The release manager would remove the two “small contributions”, resulting in the following release notes:

Features:
* [CALCITE-3323] Add mode to SqlValidator that treats statements as valid if they contain unknown functions (Ryan Fu)
* [CALCITE-3369] In LatticeSuggester, recommend lattices based on UNION queries
* [CALCITE-3365] Don't require use of JdbcSchema in QuerySqlStatisticProvider (Lindsey Meyer)

Bug fixes:
* [CALCITE-3374] Error format check result for explain plan as json (Wang Yanlin)
* [CALCITE-3363] JoinUnionTransposeRule.RIGHT_UNION should not match SEMI/ANTI Join (Jin Xing)
* [CALCITE-3370] In JDBC adapter for Microsoft SQL Server, emulate NULLS FIRST using CASE expression (Justin Swett)

Site:
* Improve READMEs and release howto instructions

How does the release manager know that they are “small contributions”? Because their commit message describes the change, and it’s clear that they are not adding a feature, fixing a bug, or improving end-user documentation.

Julian

Posted by Albert <zi...@gmail.com>.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~