Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by RO...@usbank.com on 2002/10/09 19:34:34 UTC

Transfer

Can I transfer say a 20 M file via soap? If so how do I wrap that and
should I be even considering
SOAP for such a transfer?

Re: Transfer

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
The base64-encoded data compresses pretty nicely with gzip, though.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.

Re: Transfer

Re: Transfer

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Reasons you might want to use SOAP:

1. You want to process the document as soon as it is received
2. You want the sender to know the result of the processing
3. You want to write as little plumbing as possible

Here's what I would do in a couple situations

1 = don't care, 2 = no, 3 = yes

I would use FTP or SSH (if more security is required).

1 = yes, 2 = don't care, 3 = don't care

I would send the document using HTTP POST and write a simple servlet

1 = yes, 2 = yes, 3 = yes

I would use SOAP, which would have the additional benefit of providing a
standard way to document the service if I needed third parties to
interface with my processor.  For ease of coding, I would pass the
document as a parameter (see the Apache SOAP mime sample for code that
does this).  I definitely would use a nightly build of Apache SOAP so
that I could enable gzip encoding, so the document would be compressed
on the fly.

Scott Nichol

Re: Transfer