Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Gautam R Singh (gautsing)" <ga...@cisco.com> on 2011/04/21 17:25:07 UTC

What monitoring do you use/recommend?

Hi List,

My team maintains a small Tomcat 6.x hosting environment for our group (
intranet only) use. And its growing now (30+ production TC JVM
instances). We haven't been doing any monitoring just the URL
availability test .

And now we are looking for options to monitor it better, we enabled
remote JMX on all the  JVMs but our existing "paid" monitoring software
isn't smart enough to use the  JMX values intelligently. At the moment
we just monitor the JMX attribute values (heap memory, threads, gc etc)
and it spits out pretty graphs in reports. We would really want
something which lets us -- if "Currentthreads"  are 95% of "maxthreads",
send warn email or run this script.

Don't want to deploy another war in each of those webapps dir and have
30 urls to check, something central which can query these via JMX rmi &
maybe generate pretty graphs like those in jconsole?

Thanks!

Re: What monitoring do you use/recommend?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

Maybe search Google for "nagios +tomcat" ?

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Have a look at http://Java-monitor.com It will send mail or SMS when the tomcat dies. It will also make pretty graphs from the JMX data. And it is free. :)

Kees Jan