Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by bikash sharma <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/30 15:03:07 UTC

linux containers with Hadoop

Hi,
Does anyone knows if Linux containers (which are like kernel supported
virtualization technique for providing resource isolation across
process/appication) have ever been used with Hadoop to provide resource
isolation for map/reduce tasks?
If yes, what could be the up/down sides of such approach and how feasible it
is in the context of Hadoop?
Any pointers if any in terms of papers, etc would be useful.

Thanks,
Bikash

Re: linux containers with Hadoop

Posted by bikash sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Edward, so mostly the linux containers are used in Hadoop for
ensuring isolation in terms of providing security across mapreduce jobs from
different users (even mesos seem to leverage the same) not for resource
fairness?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.