Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hiroharu Tamaru <ta...@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp> on 2004/11/07 19:15:50 UTC

Is hiding access restricted dirs from parent dir's listing possible?

Hello.

Is hiding access restricted dirs from parent dir's listing possible?

I run subversion 1.1.1 on FreeBSD with apache2 + mod_dav_svn.

In the apache config, I set every access to this repository require
a valid-user via AuthType Basic and thus no anonymous access is granted.

AuthzSVNAccessFile has something like this:
[groups]

[/]
user1 = rw
* = r

[restricted1]
user1 = rw
* =

[public1]
* = rw

[public2]
* = rw

Now, is it possible to hide the existence of /restricted1 directory
when another user, user2, browses / with a web browser, or by
svn ls http://path_to_repo/ ?

In other words, when user1 runs svn ls http://path_to_repo/ ,
I wish it to show:
restricted
public1
public2

but, when user2 runs the same command, I'd like it to show:
public1
public2

I thought I remember seeing it like this at some time before,
but now as I revisited it, it shows everything that lives in this dir,
whether or not one has a (read) access right on the child dirs.

Is it possible to configure things to show the way I wish?
Thank you.

This is my location secion, by the way
<Location /svn>
    DAV svn
    SVNPath /path/to/repo
    SVNIndexXSLT "/svnindex.xsl"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Subversion user"
    AuthUserFile /path/to/htpasswdfile
    AuthzSVNAccessFile /path/to/svnaccessfile
    Require valid-user
</Location>
--
Hiroharu Tamaru

Re: Is hiding access restricted dirs from parent dir's listing possible?

Posted by Hiroharu Tamaru <ta...@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
At Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:11:00 -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Hiroharu Tamaru wrote:
> >
> > Now, is it possible to hide the existence of /restricted1 directory
> > when another user, user2, browses / with a web browser, or by
> > svn ls http://path_to_repo/ ?
> >

> It is not possible to hide the existence of the unreadable directory.
> 'svn ls' will show it, so will an http GET on the parent directory
> (which is what your web browser is doing).

Thank you for clearing it out.
It's good to know that I'm not foregetting something obvious.
It may be a nice feature to have, somtime, though.

> However, it's impossible for anyone to read the *contents* of the
> unreadable directory.  'svn checkout' the repository root, the
> unreadable directory is skipped over.

Yes, that I understand, and it is working fine.

Thank you.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.