Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by michel <co...@videotron.ca> on 2010/07/23 11:17:33 UTC

manual reloading a class

I don't want to use the automatic class reload for performance reasons, but is there some code or such that will reload a specific class?

Thank you!

RE: manual reloading a class

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: michel [mailto:compukat@videotron.ca]
> Subject: manual reloading a class

If this has anything to do with Tomcat, it's not clear.

> I don't want to use the automatic class reload for performance reasons,

What "automatic class reload" are you referring to?  What performance issues you do perceive?

> but is there some code or such that will reload a specific class?

There is a JVMTI mechanism in the 1.5 and above JREs that allows for a class to be "redefined"; this is typically used by profilers to insert monitoring instructions.  That's about it.

Within Tomcat, you can reload a webapp, but not individual classes, other than those derived from JSPs.

 - Chuck