Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ryoung5367 <ry...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/07 21:02:37 UTC

Error Page problems

I am trying to capture certain errors and display a friendly screen.

I put the following in my web.xml

<error-page>
    <error-code>404</error-code>
    <location>/error.html</location>
</error-page>

I noticed that I no longer get the standard Tomcat message on 404's, but I
get a 404 error in the browser.  I thought this was because maybe it could
not find the error.html, but no matter where I put it I get the same
results.

Where would it normally look for that file?  I have searched the forum and
google, but can not find my answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

RE: Error Page problems

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: ryoung5367 [mailto:ryoung5367@gmail.com]
> Subject: Error Page problems
>
> I noticed that I no longer get the standard Tomcat message on
> 404's, but I get a 404 error in the browser.

Are you using Internet Explorer?  If so, it won't display short error
pages for known errors.  Try the same page with Firefox and see if it
works.  If it does, then either turn off "Show friendly [sic] HTTP error
messages" in IE's Tools -> Options -> Advanced tab, or make your custom
error page longer by adding spaces, dummy paragraphs, or ASCII art.
(Sorry, I don't remember the threshold size.)

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.