Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Siddhesh Shirode <SS...@searchtechnologies.com> on 2011/07/18 16:35:15 UTC

Best practices for Calculationg QPS

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know the best practices or  best tools for Calculating QPS  in Solr. Thanks.

Thanks,
SIDDHESH SHIRODE
Technical Consultant

M +1 240 274 5183

SEARCH TECHNOLOGIES
THE EXPERT IN THE SEARCH SPACE
www.searchtechnologies.com<http://www.searchtechnologies.com>

Re: Best practices for Calculationg QPS

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
(11/07/18 23:35), Siddhesh Shirode wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I would like to know the best practices or  best tools for Calculating QPS  in Solr. Thanks.

Just an FYI:

Admin GUI > STATISTICS > QUERY gives you avgRequestsPerSecond for each request handler.

koji
--
http://www.rondhuit.com/en/

Re: Best practices for Calculationg QPS

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Easiest way to count QPS:

Take one solr log file. Make it have date stamps and log entries on
the same line.
Grab all lines with 'qTime='.
Strip these lines of all text after the timestamp.
Run this Unix program to get counts in line of how many times each
timestamp appears in a row:
    uniq -c

Works a treat. After this I make charts in Excel. Use the "X-Y" or
"Scatter plot" chart. Make the timestamp the X dimension, and the
count the Y dimension. This gets you a plot of QPS.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Measure. On an index with your real data with real queries <G>...
>
> Being a smart-aleck aside, using something like jMeter is useful. The
> basic idea is that you can use such a tool to fire queries at a Solr
> index, configuring it with some number of threads that all run
> in parallel, and keep upping the number of threads until the server
> falls over.
>
> But it's critical that you use your real data. All of it (i.e. don't run with
> a partial set of data and expect the results to hold when you add the
> rest of the data). It's equally critical that you use real queries that
> reflect what the users actually send at your index.
>
> Of course, with a new app, getting "real" user queries isn't possible,
> and you're forced to guess. Which is much better than nothing, but
> you need to monitor what happens when real users do start using your
> system...
>
> Do be aware that what I have seen when doing this is that your
> QPS will plateau, but the response time for each query will
> increase at some threshold...
>
> FWIW
> Erick
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Siddhesh Shirode
> <SS...@searchtechnologies.com> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I would like to know the best practices or  best tools for Calculating QPS  in Solr. Thanks.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> SIDDHESH SHIRODE
>> Technical Consultant
>>
>> M +1 240 274 5183