Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by J Mohamed Zahoor <za...@indix.com> on 2013/03/26 10:53:16 UTC

multicore vs multi collection

Hi

I am kind of confuzed between multi core and multi collection.
Docs dont seem to clarify this.. can someone enlighten me what is ther difference between a core and a collection?
Are they same?

./zahoor

Re: multicore vs multi collection

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Unable? In what way?

Did you look at the Solr "example"?

Did you look at solr.xml?

Did you see the <core> element? (Needs to be one per core/collection.)

Did you see the "multicore" directory in the example?

Did you look at the solr.xml file in multicore?

Did you see how there are separate directories for each collection/core in
multicore?

Did you see how there is a <core> element in solr.xml in multicore, one for
each collection directory (instance)?

Did you try setting up your own test directory parallel to multicore in
example?

Did you read the README.txt files in the Solr example directories?

Did you see the command to start Solr with a specific Solr "home"
directory? -

    java -Dsolr.solr.home=multicore -jar start.jar

Did you try that for your own test solr home directory created above?

So... what exactly was the problem you were encountering? Be specific.

My guess is that you simply need to re-read the README.txt files more
carefully in the Solr "example" directories.

If you have questions about what the README.txt files say, please ask them,
but please be specific.

-- Jack Krupansky

Does that means i can create multiple collections with different
configurations ?
can you please outline basic steps to create multiple collections,cause i am
not able to
create them on solr 4.0

Re: multicore vs multi collection

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Also from there http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud:

*Q:* What is the difference between a Collection and a
SolrCore<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCore>?

*A:* In classic single node Solr, a
SolrCore<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCore>is basically equivalent
to a Collection. It presents one logical index. In
SolrCloud, the SolrCore <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCore>'s on
multiple nodes form a Collection. This is still just one logical index, but
multiple SolrCores <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCores> host different
'shards' of the full collection. So a
SolrCore<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCore>encapsulates a single
physical index on an instance. A Collection is a
combination of all of the SolrCores
<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCores>that together provide a logical
index that is distributed across many
nodes.