Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by emerson cargnin <ec...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/20 09:18:13 UTC

Symbolic link between two paths INSIDE the repository

Is there a way to have the same file in the repository twice, I mean,
been shared by two different projects in different paths of the
repository. I know that svn can store sym links, but that's not what i
need here. I need to share the same file from two different paths. it
can be share the same file that both paths could change it or It could
be that one path is the "owner" of the file and the other would be
only read-only. thanks

emerson

Re: Symbolic link between two paths INSIDE the repository

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.
My company has exactly that situation in their CVS repository (and no
CVS doesn't do the necessary gymnastics either).  It's not a great
solution when it's not actually supported by the tool.

Consider that if such a linking mechanism existed then checking out a
working copy, making changes and attemptimg to commit could conflict
with itself. Not only is this not supported but I imagine that there
aren't many people prepared to implement the gymnastics required to
implement it in a meaningful manner.

In my case, when moving Subversion I separated the shared code out
into a shared project.  Each consumer of the shared code takes their
own local copy - this allows them to choose when to advance to a newer
copy lowering inter-project dependency.  Modifications are only
allowed in the shared project which does make the work-flow more
complex (or rather more visibly complex since users really needed to
understand the same issues in the linked case).

I considered merging back from the local copy of the code to the
shared project - we may well do that when merge-tracking arrives...

How do others here deal with sharing content between multiple projects?

--
Talden

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 20, 2007, at 04:18, emerson cargnin wrote:

> Is there a way to have the same file in the repository twice, I mean,
> been shared by two different projects in different paths of the
> repository. I know that svn can store sym links, but that's not what i
> need here. I need to share the same file from two different paths. it
> can be share the same file that both paths could change it or It could
> be that one path is the "owner" of the file and the other would be
> only read-only. thanks

The only option other than symlinks would be svn:externals, which is