Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Grant Edwards <gr...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/21 08:35:02 UTC

Accounting documentation

Hi

I am looking for a non technical guide to the OFBiz accounting component.
Something that I can give to an accountant that explains what the OFBiz
account component can do and more or less how to go about setting it up.

Regards

Grant Edwards

RE: Accounting documentation

Posted by Vi...@bertelsmann.com.cn.
Dear Grant,

Yes sure you can do this :).

Also you can have GL done automatically. Its just you cannot use it as a packaged financial application unless you do some development of reports and screens although services are in place :).

Regards,
Vikrant

Posted by Grant Edwards <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vikrant

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Grant,

I would strongly suggest to consider the adoption of the official OFBiz
accounting component and *not* the third party versions, especially you
plan to deploy OFBiz (and not one of its forks/variants... but in my
opinion OFBiz is the best choice).
That said, yes the financial features are still young (but
growing/maturing quickly) and right now the feature set is comparable to
the ones of the counterparts.

As regards the documentation about financial setup, yes at the moment
there is not a lot around, but if you, or anyone else, are willing to
help write down some notes (for example in the OFBiz wiki), I'm sure
that we can help to guide you in your research/tests... it is not very
difficult to perform an initial setup.
As a starting point, I'd suggest to have a look at the financial demo
settings provided for the "Company" party:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk/applications/accounting/data/DemoGlSetupData.xml

this should give you an idea of the data structure (that you can create
also by the application's user interface).

Jacopo