Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/14 17:06:13 UTC

Testing plugins in multi-module projects

Hi there,

I've used maven-plugin-testing-tools previously to test simple plugins
with success.  I now need to use it within a multi-module project, for
example:

project
+- api
+- maven-plugin (dependencies: api)

The problem is that
PluginTestTool.preparePluginForUnitTestingWithMavenBuilds will install
only a test version of the plugin into the test repository, whereas I
also need a test version of its intra-project dependencies to be
installed into the test repository with their pom dependency versions
mangled respectively.

Has anyone managed to achieve this or would this be a new feature?

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Testing plugins in multi-module projects

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
2008/7/14 Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>:
> I tried to realize something like this for integration testing with the
> Invoker Plugin. Its invoker:install goal introduced with the release of
> version 1.2 aims at staging not only the artifact under test but also its
> dependencies from the reactor. However, there's at least one flaw in the
> released implementation (MINVOKER-40).
>
> As far as I understand you, that's not exactly what you're looking for. But
> maybe the existing code in the Invoker Plugin is helpful as an inspiration.

Thanks Benjamin, I've taken a look and yes we'd need something similar
in maven-plugin-testing-tools that also changes the pom's
dependencies' versions.  I've raised MPLUGINTESTING-6 to track this.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Mark Hobson wrote:

> Has anyone managed to achieve this or would this be a new feature?

I tried to realize something like this for integration testing with the
Invoker Plugin. Its invoker:install goal introduced with the release of
version 1.2 aims at staging not only the artifact under test but also
its dependencies from the reactor. However, there's at least one flaw in
the released implementation (MINVOKER-40).

As far as I understand you, that's not exactly what you're looking for.
But maybe the existing code in the Invoker Plugin is helpful as an
inspiration.

Benjamin