Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jason Arndt <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2003/03/08 01:50:53 UTC

add POST parameters to the FormAuthentication security check URL request

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the
FormAuthentication class to use additional parameters
during it's call to the security check URL in the
authenticate(WebRequest) method?

I am using the iPlanet 6.5 application server and it
adds a few requirements to the standard form-based
authentication call.  What I mean is that the security
check URL must be "/NASApp/System/FormAuthServlet",
which I can set.  However, in addition to the standard
"j_username" and "j_password" parameters, it requires
2 additional parameters, "ias_request_appname" and
"ias_request_real_appname", or it throws a
ServletException:

[07/Mar/2003 17:42:43:6] error: Exception:
SERVLET-execution_failed: Error in executing servlet
FormAuthServlet: javax.servlet.ServletException:
Authorization information not provided to
BasicAuthServlet

Anyway, I've gotten it to work by downloading the
latest cactus source from cvs and modifying the
FormAuthentication class' authenticate method to add
these parameters to the request, but this was just a
short term solution to test my theory and I need
another alternative.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-- Jason

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

RE: add POST parameters to the FormAuthentication security check URL request

Posted by Jason Arndt <ja...@yahoo.com>.
It worked just fine.  Thanks!

--- Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I've just added support for your use case in cactus
> 1.5 (in CVS).
>
> Here's how to use it:
>
> public void beginXXX(WebRequest request)
> {
>     FormAuthentication auth = new
> FormAuthentication(username, pwd);

auth.getSecurityRequest().addParameter("ias_request_appname",
> whatever);

auth.getSecurityRequest().addParameter("ias_request_real_appname",

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Hi Jason,

I've just added support for your use case in cactus 1.5 (in CVS).

Here's how to use it:

public void beginXXX(WebRequest request)
{
    FormAuthentication auth = new FormAuthentication(username, pwd);
    auth.getSecurityRequest().addParameter("ias_request_appname",
whatever);
    auth.getSecurityRequest().addParameter("ias_request_real_appname",
whatever);
    request.setAuthentication(auth);
[...]

Please note that I haven't tested it! (unfortunately we don't have any
test yet for Form-Based authentication). Could you verify it works for
you?

Thanks
-Vincent

URL