Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerome Lacoste <la...@frisurf.no> on 2003/12/01 14:35:05 UTC

Forwarding / bounce question

Hi,

James running on a LAN I am trying to forward email to an external
address. I created a user, and used the setforwarding command. The user
is subscribed to a mailing list.
I tried to send the the

Unfortunately this fails, with the following error:

01/12/03 13:33:17 WARN  James: Mail to be bounced does not contain a
Return-Path header.

My problem is why does james try to bounce? Is that expected behavior
when using forwarding?

I am wondering if this is due to a configuration error, or to a bug in
the James.bounce() method which was fixed in May which may affect my
version of james (2.1.2), thus requiring me to upgrade james.

If I have to upgrade james, is it advised to upgrade to the latest
stable or to cvs tip?

Jerome

More info on the potential problem affecting me on 2.1.2:

Problem might be due to the checkin 1.50
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/James.java?annotate=1.56#642
Made 20 Feb 2003

and fixed in 1.57 in May
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/James.java.diff?r1=1.56&r2=1.57

2.1.2 released on the 21st of Feb 2003 so should contain the bug even if
I don't see cvs tags in James.java that would make me sure 2.1.2 was
released with it.

RE: Forwarding / bounce question

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <la...@frisurf.no>.
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 20:17, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I guess it is because forwarding is not applied
> > when mail sent through a list.
>
> > How do I manage to forward the mail for a specific
> > user to an external address, when this mail is
> > delivered throught a mailing list?
>
> Forwarding is handled in the code that would otherwise store a message.
> There should not be any effect related to being in a mailing list.  If the
> user has a local (James) account, it should just work.

Was there a bug in 2.1.2 that could have caused that to fail?
I've tested it again and it still doesn't work.

Jerome

RE: Forwarding / bounce question

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I guess it is because forwarding is not applied
> when mail sent through a list.

> How do I manage to forward the mail for a specific
> user to an external address, when this mail is
> delivered throught a mailing list?

Forwarding is handled in the code that would otherwise store a message.
There should not be any effect related to being in a mailing list.  If the
user has a local (James) account, it should just work.

	--- Noel

Re: Forwarding / bounce question

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <la...@frisurf.no>.
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 14:35, Jerome Lacoste wrote:
> Hi,
>
> James running on a LAN I am trying to forward email to an external
> address. I created a user, and used the setforwarding command. The user
> is subscribed to a mailing list.
> I tried to sent the the

I meant I tried to subscribe the user to the list using mutt.

I found out that mutt wasn't setting up the From: field to a correct address, making the mail being rejected.
I now solved the problem but the forwarding still doesn't appear to work.

I sent a standalone mail to jerome-ext at 15h39 and it worked.
I sent a mail to a mailing list jerome-ext is subscribed at 15:15, and the mail never arrived to the external address.
I guess it is because forwarding is not applied when mail sent through a list.

That's why I cannot see anything in the James james-xxx.log:

[...]
01/12/03 13:33:17 WARN  James: Mail to be bounced does not contain a Return-Path header.
01/12/03 14:31:08 WARN  James: Mail to be bounced does not contain a Return-Path header.
01/12/03 15:13:28 WARN  James: Mail to be bounced does not contain a Return-Path header.
01/12/03 15:39:32 INFO  James: Mail for jerome-ext forwarded to my@external.address.com

I remember now having this problem some time ago. But I couldn't find the thread in the archives.
How do I manage to forward the mail for a specific user to an external address, when this mail is delivered throught a mailing list?

Am I obliged to create a script with a procmail or something similar? the jerome-ext user doesn't exist on the system so it is not practical if I have to do that for every user.

Jerome