Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Hensley, Richard" <Ri...@McKesson.com> on 2004/12/07 17:54:59 UTC

Tapestry Learning Curve (was RE: Delevoping a Web APP)

I continually see comments like the learning curve is to steep on Tapestry.
Our experience was that this is simply not true. We took the following
approach.

Buy the book!
Read the book!
Build a small prototype!
Read the book!

All the above took about a week for the lead engineer on our initial
project. The approach to the next phase was:

Team read the book!
Teach the team.
Start the project.
Focus on learning the parts of Tapestry that are needed to reach your
project goal

Our initial project from soup to nuts took us about 8 weeks to construct.
This team included 4 engineers and a lead engineer, none of which had
experience completing a project with Tapestry, nor did the team have much
web application experience.

The only thing I would consider out of the ordinary is that we managed to
hire Howard for two days of education about one week into construction. The
education session was targeted at validation of what we had learned from the
book and prototype. I highly recommend having a short education session.

My experience has been that if you know what your requirements are, Tapestry
enables you to build what you need quickly. We calculated that using
Tapestry saved us calendar days and engineer capacity, even on our initial
project.

Richard Hensley