Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Stephen Rosenthal <st...@seeq.com> on 2018/01/18 21:29:40 UTC

AbstractMethodError from JMXServerUtils after update from Java 1.8.0_112 to 1.8.0_162

Hi,

I got the following error after updating my Cassandra system from Java 1.8.0_112 to 1.8.0_162:

java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.apache.cassandra.utils.JMXServerUtils$Exporter.exportObject(Ljava/rmi/Remote;ILjava/rmi/server/RMIClientSocketFactory;Ljava/rmi/server/RMIServerSocketFactory;Lsun/misc/ObjectInputFilter;)Ljava/rmi/Remote;

I did the usual Googling and here’s what I’ve concluded:

  *   Between Java 1.8.0_152 and 1.8.0_162, the interface com.sun.jmx.remote.internal.RMIExporter was changed to add a 5th argument to the exportObject method. The class in a Sun “internal” package so it probably wasn’t intended for use outside of the JDK.
  *   Cassandra references RMIExporter in org.apache.cassandra.utils.JMXServerUtils but uses only 4 arguments in the exportObject method: https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-3.11/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/utils/JMXServerUtils.java
  *   I was running on Cassandra 3.11 but I also tried 3.11.1 and the problem remained.

I couldn’t find anyone else reporting this bug so I must be doing something different. Have others seen this bug? Or is it something obvious, i.e. does Cassandra not support running on Java 1.8.0_162 yet?

Thanks!
Stephen

Re: AbstractMethodError from JMXServerUtils after update from Java 1.8.0_112 to 1.8.0_162

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
FYI, there's a patch coming soon to address this:

Cheers,
Ed

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.