Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/03 08:47:02 UTC

Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Hi all,

I built Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor - TapestryTools [1]
as GSoC 2011 project. Now, we plan to improve this tool and keep it as
a GSoC 2012 project, before we start real develop job, we need
feedback from you guys. Welcome to hava a trial of it, this is the
guide [2] about how to install it, and we also have a video about how
to use this tool.

If you have any advises about it or you need some new features, please
let me know. Thank you.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide
[3] http://tapestrytools.googlecode.com/files/tapestrytools.mov

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Posted by gavingui <ga...@gmail.com>.
hi Giulio,
thank you for your feedback, I will fix issues and add much new features for TaperstyTool this year, so I will fix this problem very soon. Now I am collecting new features for it, if you are really interested in it,you can tell me what do you want.

发自我的 iPad

在 2012-2-5,上午12:15,Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com> 写道:

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for your feedback. I will go deep into the T5 Component
References things, if possible, i will merge it into TapestryTools as
a new feature.

Last year, Igor talked with me about moving TapestryTools to GitHub,
due to bad internet service in China, it is hard for me to link to
GitHub, so we gave up. This year, it seems that i can connect to
GitHub already (although it is not fast, but works), i will host this
project source code in GitHub once i start the development job.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Gavin!

> [...]

>   * Autocomplete of properties from the .java page when editing the .tml
> file
>   * Tapestry built in and custom components autocompletion function in tml
>
> And optional features:
> 1) import Tapestry jar of special version to project
> 2) validation function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Supplies semantic validation of the Tapestry standard tag
> libraries for both EL and non-EL attribute values in *.tml file
> 3) hyperlink function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Hyperlink to the Java editor from property and method referenced
> in the Expression Language(EL) of a tag-attribute, click (CTRL +
> property or method ), it will jump to the corresponding Java Class
> file.
>
> And now, we are still in ideas collection period, any feature demands
> from open source community is welcome. Or if you have any advises,

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Posted by Borut Bolcina <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the light version

The IDEA IDE is the way to follow. It has all the features you are mentioning for the light version, but it is not free. The autocomplete feature is so much useful that we already bought one licence becouse it speeds up the tapestry web apps development significantly.

Sent from my iPad

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 04:14:34 -0200, Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,

Hi!

> As Eclipse classic does not include XML editor, it will require
> Eclipse for JEE developers as a minimum.

I don't think this is correct. As far as I can remember, since 3.5 or 3.6
the smallest Eclipse for Java does ship with an XML editor. I never use
the Eclipse for JEE and I do have an XML editor here.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com>.
2012/2/15 Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>

> Hi Giulio,
>
> I am finding solution to support Tapestry custom components besides
> standard components in XML editor, and i believe we can do it.
>
> But for the css and html things, no, we will not add html/css schemas
> support in XML editor, it is complex and unnecessary. As i mentioned,
> we will concentrate on simple and useful stuff first to confirm a
> minimal feature set that works perfect. If users want to edit html/css
> or jsp elements in *.tml editor, we have a future option feature, we
> plan supply Tapestry components' auto-complete feature in WTP jsp
> editor.

Got it, thanks.

Cheers,
Giulio

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giulio,

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback and advises, obviously, we reached
agreement about the Eclipse distribution for TapestryTools :-)

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

When i talked about Eclipse Classic, i mean "Eclipse Classic 3.7.1" in
Eclips download page[1], it is downloaded 1,241,158 Times( You can
find Eclipse Java's number is 3,621,409 Times and JEE's number is
2,561,673 Times). So it means there are still many guys are starting
with Eclipse Classic.

But i am not very sure why you said Eclipse Classic is Eclipse 3.3, in
Eclipse Classic 3.7.1's bundles.info file, we can find its core
bundles are build in version 3.7:

org.eclipse.core.runtime,3.7.0.v20110110,plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.7.0.v20110110.jar,4,true
org.eclipse.osgi,3.7.1.R37x_v20110808-1106,plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.7.1.R37x_v20110808-1106.jar,-1,true
org.eclipse.jdt,3.7.1.v201109091335,plugins/org.eclipse.jdt_3.7.1.v201109091335.jar,4,false

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thiago,

I said this because i ignore Eclipse's dependency resolution too long,
almost forget it can travel its available update center to get
dependencies jars. Sorry for my uncorrect opinion here :-(

>>> Doesn't Help -> Install New Software downloads dependencies
>>> automatically,
>>> at least the ones in the available update sites? I think it does.

After your remind here, i remembered this solution :-)

>> Yes, Eclipse will travel all the *available* update sites to find the
>> dependencies automatically during plugin install process, but due to
>> bad internet service in my country, this step always cost me *much*
>> time, so i think this is not useful and always cancel this step. But
>> may be it works well in other areas
>

> You said that Eclipse didn't have dependency resolution, but it does.
> Whether it works with slow connections is a completely different issue. I'd
> suggest you to provide the dependency resolution info in your plugin (which
> I'm eager to see it running without WTP) even if you don't use it
> personally. ;)

In fact, there is not any additional job to do to use Eclipse's
dependency solution. If user is using Eclipse Classic, and he want to
install TapestryTools, he just need add XML editor's update site into
Eclipse's update sites, and select "Contact all update sites during
install to find required software". Eclipse will find and install XML
editor before install TapestryTools.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:37:10 -0200, Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Thiago,

Hi, Gavin!

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thiago,

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi Dmitry,

Hi!

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for your response, In my experience, i do not think Eclipse
has any feature to auto resolving dependencies, if we want to install
something in update center, it always ask us to install the dependency
plugins first manually. I am not very sure about this point, but will
have a survey to get the best solution

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, i downloaded Eclipse classic (eclipse-SDK-3.7.1-win32),
eclipse-java-indigo-SR1-win32 and eclipse-jee-indigo-SR1-win32 today,
confirmed that both Eclipse Java and JEE have XML editor installed
already. So we can call Eclipse Java as a minimum.

Thank you for your remind, Thiago.

If user is using Eclipse classic, there are two ways to go:
1. Download and install XML editor manually first
2. Add XML editor update center site into Eclipse's "Available
Software Site", and check "Contact all update sites during install to
find required software" during TapestryTools' install process, Eclipse
will install dependencies automatically.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, we can supply a muli-tabs editor for *.tml, in will include at
least *.java tab and *.tml tab. Even more tabs ? I will go deep into
the  solution and discuss, and make a decision in the future. I will
try to supply any useful features for Tapestry development

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

You mean we should supply a muti-page editor, which open *.tml and
corresponding *.java file in the same window, right ? This is a good
idea, i will consider this solution.

You said "The tabs could include tml, java, properties, event
handlers, services etc", in fact, i am not very clear about the
"properties, event handlers, services", i do not think each Tapestry
page have these modules, if we added all these tabs in a mutli-page
editor, isn't it some kind of place waste ? More important, too many
tabs will also affect editor performance, make it more slowly and
heavier. your opinion?

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
I am sure that code can be reused somehow without triggering this dependency.

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thiago,

If we want to supply autocomplete feature, it depend users' *.tml
editor. If user use XML editor to edit *.tml file, we should expand
XML editor to supply this autocomplete feature. If user use WTP html
editor to edit *.tml file, we should expand WTP html editor.

XML editor is Eclipse's built in module and we can use it to edit
*.tml file, yes, i plan to expand XML editor to supply Tapestry 5
features. And we will still supply a WTP html editor based T5
autocomplete module, but this will be a optional module in
TapestryTools' Installation process, if user have installed WTP, they
can check this module and install it.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Gavin!

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Giulio,

Thank you for your advises, see the commends below

2012/2/8 Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com>:
> Like many people here, my advice is the lightweight one.
> From my user experience, the "graphical editor" can be really cool to see
> (not only in tapestry, also in JSF and before in JSP or swing/awt ecc...),
> but is useful only at the beginning of the project and damaging since then
> until end of time :D

It seems that palette drag-and-drop things is not so practical, not a
big pity to miss this feature, good to hear that :D

> Also, all my projects are imported through maven and i use high level of
> modularization, so I usually lost all the "tapestry nature" features.
>

> One question: if you detach that from WTP, don't you loose the autocomplete
> feature for html/css tags inside the TML ?

Yeah, html/css autocomplete feature is supplies by WTP, not
TapestryTools. If TapestryTools work without WTP, it will lost this
feature. But we can still supply Tapestry 5 built-in and custom
components autocomplete feature, works like this.

If we add actionlink component, such as:

<t:actionlink t:id="logout">Log out</t:actionlink>
,So when you type

<t:
it comes up with a list you can choose from and then completes it with
the required parameters listed.

We can finish this feature development work without WTP :-)

Posted by Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 05:07:22 -0200, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>
wrote:

> WTP is a bloated POS anyway.  Completely agree that TapestryTools should
> not be dependent on it.
> I also can't use it because I keep my plugins up-to-date and not dare
> re-installing it as well.

Agreed 100% with this and the lightweight approach. I avoid WTP as much as
I can. And most people will always update their Eclipse and plugins
version.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Gavin!

> [...]

>   * Autocomplete of properties from the .java page when editing the .tml
> file
>   * Tapestry built in and custom components autocompletion function in tml
>
> And optional features:
> 1) import Tapestry jar of special version to project
> 2) validation function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Supplies semantic validation of the Tapestry standard tag
> libraries for both EL and non-EL attribute values in *.tml file
> 3) hyperlink function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Hyperlink to the Java editor from property and method referenced
> in the Expression Language(EL) of a tag-attribute, click (CTRL +
> property or method ), it will jump to the corresponding Java Class
> file.
>
> And now, we are still in ideas collection period, any feature demands
> from open source community is welcome. Or if you have any advises,

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Posted by Gavin Lei <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your help, Mark, i will keep improving it

在 2012年2月6日 上午11:56,Mark <ma...@xeric.net> 写道:

Posted by Mark <ma...@xeric.net>.

Posted by Giulio Micali <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gavin !