Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by James Fraley <jf...@home.com> on 2000/09/07 05:46:04 UTC

Why Jakarta?

I'm new to the servlet/JSP environment.  I also know that Jakarta is
designated to be the replacement for Jserv.  That being said, why is there
so little documentation on Jakarta?  The two documents provided that the
site give just enough information to get Jakarta running.  Is there a
complete manual in the works for Jakarta?  Maybe even a reference book or
two on the way?

James Fraley

RE: Why Jakarta?

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
> Tomcat User's Guide
> Application Development manual - an alternative to the User's Guide, by
> Craig McClanahan, somewhat out of date
> faq [obsolete?]
> Tomcat 3.1 readme [obsolete?]
> Tomcat-Apache HOWTO
> mod_jk HOWTO [??? should be rolled into tomcat-apache howto]
> Tomcat-IIS HOWTO
> Tomcat-Netscape HOWTO
> Using the Java SecurityManager with Tomcat
> JDBC Realm HOWTO
> NT Service HOWTO
> Tomcat Workers HOWTO
> In-process HOWTO
> Tomcat Internals documentation
>
> As to what other docs are in the works, I couldn't tell you.  I would expect
> doc to emerge at the same pace and and in the same form as for other
> Apache projects.  If you need an inclusive reference, Tomcat is probably
> not the thing for you right now.

The docs will emerge at the same pace as people are willing to
contribute. It's not easy to write documentation, and it's _very_ hard to
write good documentations.

Costin

RE: Why Jakarta?

Posted by Fernando Salazar <fs...@quickdot.com>.
I think the suggestion is that you look at the Tomcat doc section, where you
find the following docs:

Tomcat User's Guide
Application Development manual - an alternative to the User's Guide, by
Craig McClanahan, somewhat out of date
faq [obsolete?]
Tomcat 3.1 readme [obsolete?]
Tomcat-Apache HOWTO
mod_jk HOWTO [??? should be rolled into tomcat-apache howto]
Tomcat-IIS HOWTO
Tomcat-Netscape HOWTO
Using the Java SecurityManager with Tomcat
JDBC Realm HOWTO
NT Service HOWTO
Tomcat Workers HOWTO
In-process HOWTO
Tomcat Internals documentation

As to what other docs are in the works, I couldn't tell you.  I would expect
doc to emerge at the same pace and and in the same form as for other
Apache projects.  If you need an inclusive reference, Tomcat is probably
not the thing for you right now.

- Fernando

Re: Why Jakarta?

Posted by James Fraley <jf...@home.com>.