Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> on 2007/02/07 17:41:55 UTC

[SCA Java] What to build, package & run etc

Hi,

It's probably documented elsewhere, but I've looked and cant find it....

>From the IRC chat (Tuscany IRC weekly chats. Feb 5 2007) its apparent that
the build instructions @
http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/java_sca_overview.html are no longer
accurate and that instead we should be using the java/sca/runtime/ for
executing code...

I thought I'd have a go a documenting what is now required and so I've got a
few questions I hope you can help me with, I'm sure some of them will appear
trivial to you chaps, but are somewhat confussing to me (and presumably
others who are trying to catch up what's going on):

The "pre-spec-changes" tag contains an SCA implementation based on 0.95 of
the SCA specs. Is this correct ?
It seems to build without needing any other part of the tuscany source
tree... presumably this is correct and you don't need any other part of it
since any declared dependencies are downloaded by maven automatically.

The head is an implmenetation of the 1.0 specifications.

Today I managed to build pre-spec-changes, I had some problems over the past
few days due to dependecies not being downloaded / found etc. However, I
don't seem to have an "installable distribution" as per M2.
I've written a trivial SCA component I want to test, but am lacking the
understanding of how to launch it (which jars need to be where ?).

Building head seems to result in the same place... I don't seem to have a
distribution that I can install and then configure when I use the
launcher...

Can anyone help me understand it & I'd be very happy to document them on the
wiki (I've made a partial 1st stab @
http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/building-sca-for-java.html)

Thanks,
Dan

Re: [SCA Java] What to build, package & run etc

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There are some documents @
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/SCA_Java. Do you want to help
migrate some of the useful information over?

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Jeremy / Raymond,

Thanks for the pointers to the old wiki, though it looks like you've also
since updated the new wiki....

I was wondering about what advice to give people... perhaps the m2 milestone
is the right one to encourage people to use, but I have this concern that if
problems occur the first advice would be to upgrade to the latest version
and see if the problem occurs - I get the impression a lot has happened
since M2.

What I was trying (and have almost achieved) was a zero download of
tuscany... or rather, to have maven download and unpack the latest snapshots
from either pre-spec-changes or head. It doesn't seem that hard to have a
mvn script that automatically downloads the latest standalone snapshot and
upzip it into the target/ directory structure... so as I develop sca
components I don't have to worry about getting more recent snapshots...
perhaps this is taking things a little too far but seemed like a reasonable
compromise (between m2 and the bleeding edge in either head or branches).
However, I've not quite got it right yet, I get a stack trace:
org.osoa.sca.annotations.EagerInit
    at
org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.processor.EagerInitProcessor.visitClass
(EagerInitProcessor.java:43)
    at
org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.IntrospectionRegistryImpl.introspect(
IntrospectionRegistryImpl.java:78)
    at
org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.system.loader.SystemComponentTypeLoader.loadByIntrospection
(SystemComponentTypeLoader.java:93)
    at
org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.system.loader.SystemComponentTypeLoader.load
(SystemComponentTypeLoader.java:74)
    at
org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.system.loader.SystemComponentTypeLoader.load
(SystemComponentTypeLoader.java:46)
    at org.apache.tuscany.core.loader.LoaderRegistryImpl.loadComponentType(
LoaderRegistryImpl.java:156)
And when I'm debugging the class loader the "lib" directory jars
(specifically the sca annotations classes) are not on the classpath (it
seems to have all the jars in the profiles/launcher/boot)... a little more
debugging to do I guess :)

It means someone wanting to keep upto date with Tuscany SCA (as per Fang,
Yue (Freeman) <Fr...@iona.com>) can use the (hopefully) more stable
but more upto date snapshots with little effort... (obviously when launching
you need to set the -Dtuscany.installDir=target/sca-runtime/). However it
did require a slight mod to the assembly pom and it would also be easier to
debug if the snapshots published had source attachments...

WDYT about this approach ?
Cheers,
Dan

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.