Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2012/03/23 08:02:22 UTC

[Vote] Result Release numbering policy

After more than 72 hours this vote is now closed.  It has failed to generate more binding +1's than negative +1s with at least 3 +1 votes.

+1
Ralph (binding)
Alex
Juhani

-1
Arvind (binding)
Jarcec
Mike
Prasad
Hari

In short, there were only 2 PPMC members interested in this topic.  I would also point out that 4 of the 5 -1 votes work for the same employer.   These two facts concern me and make me wonder if the project is really ready for graduation.

Ralph

Re: [Vote] Result Release numbering policy

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
You don't need to change your email address. You participate at the ASF as an individual, not as a company employee.

The only reason the topic of who you work for comes up is that the ASF doesn't want projects that are really run by a company that follows that single company's product roadmap, are susceptible to a change of direction by that company, etc. So while projects are in the incubator one of the goals is to try to gain diversity by attracting contributors that have a variety of employers.  That just tends to create a healthier, more sustainable community. So at this point we are interested in affiliations simply to determine who we are doing in meeting that requirement.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with companies allowing their employees to contribute to ASF projects on company time and include those projects in their product offerings.

Ralph

On Mar 23, 2012, at 12:45 AM, alo alt wrote:

> Sorry guys.
> My name is Alexander Alten-Lorenz, I live in Germany. I work for Cloudera, but I did not change my email address in all lists since I'm active here, because I have a blog with that name (alo.alt). If I should change into @cloudera.com, just give me line.
>
> thanks,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com
>
> On Mar 23, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Ralph Goers
>> <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> After more than 72 hours this vote is now closed.  It has failed to generate more binding +1's than negative +1s with at least 3 +1 votes.
>>>
>>> +1
>>> Ralph (binding)
>>> Alex
>>> Juhani
>>>
>>> -1
>>> Arvind (binding)
>>> Jarcec
>>> Mike
>>> Prasad

Posted by alo alt <wg...@googlemail.com>.
Sorry guys.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Mar 23, 2012, at 12:31 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Ralph Goers
> <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> After more than 72 hours this vote is now closed.  It has failed to generate more binding +1's than negative +1s with at least 3 +1 votes.
>>
>> +1
>> Ralph (binding)
>> Alex
>> Juhani
>>
>> -1
>> Arvind (binding)
>> Jarcec
>> Mike
>> Prasad
>> Hari
>>
>> In short, there were only 2 PPMC members interested in this topic.  I would also point out that 4 of the 5 -1 votes work for the same employer.   These two facts concern me and make me wonder if the project is really ready for graduation.
>
> A couple of more facts to keep things in perspective: there is one +1
> vote from Alex, who works for the same employer. Secondly - previous
> policy vote that was called by me also failed to gather support, with
> -1 votes coming from folks working for the same employer [1], one of
> which was a PPMC vote.
>
> [1] http://incubator.markmail.org/thread/uzmzcvwr5ezbsrjy
>
> I therefore do not share the concern that you have regarding diversity
> (and implied integrity), but to be doubly sure that we are doing what
> is right by the community, I am happy to wait until we have more
> representation in committers and PPMC from other employers. I was
> planning on starting the graduation proceedings right after the 1.1.0
> release but will put that on hold until we have everyone on board with
> the idea of graduation.

I'm not equating diversity with integrity. However, people who work together tend to follow the same process and get used to that and so may tend to vote that way because that is what they are comfortable with (unless, of course, they don't really like the process in place where they work :-)).

It is the other number than bothers me more. I was just starting to write an email in a separate thread but I guess I will do it here.  In looking at the PPMC list and find myself wondering. As I recall the PPMC is still made up of the same list that is posted as initial committers at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/FlumeProposal.  Of these there are 4 that do not even seem to be subscribed to the PMC list, although some do appear to be subscribed here.  A few of the others have been extremely quiet (as in probably between 0 and 5 posts to any of the lists). 4 are mentors who have been active in mentoring but not necessarily in other project activities. From what I can tell that leaves a truly active PPMC of pretty much just you.  That is a problem.

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Ralph,