Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/06/18 17:02:10 UTC

"Some of our contributors" page

As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
particular:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html

>From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.

I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
recent contributions.

Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.

Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.

-Rob

Re: "Some of our contributors" page

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/18/2011 06:46 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jun 18, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Marcus Lange wrote:
>
>> Am 06/18/2011 05:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>> As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>>>
>>> I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
>>> particular:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>>>
>>>  From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
>>> to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.
>>>
>>> I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
>>> site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
>>> especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
>>> recent contributions.
>>>
>>> Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
>>> for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
>>> later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
>>> highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.
>>
>> If only specific people, I doubt that we can find a rule that really all would agreed to.
>>
>>> Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.
>>
>> ACK, who is recognized as contributor/committer/member should be allowed to add her/his name. Or ask to add if they cannot do it themselves.
>
> Each committer should update the roster to add their name, email address, affiliation (if allowed) and area of interest.

When looking at the roaster at the HTTPD project I like the little list
for every name. You don't read just a name but also know what she/he is
doing, comes from and so on. And without to telling too much details and
private stuff. So, it's up to everybody to write that what the world is
allowed to know.

> Doing so is a great way to make sure that your apache account is properly setup and that you will be able to commit your changes.
>
> It serves as a test and it let's everyone know the individuals empowered to commit then review. All other developers will then know those empowered to review then commit.
>
> As committers we are the agents for the community and the community should know who we are - one place.
>>
>> In the "old" project we had a long list of people that have helped the project and product:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html
>
> Sure. And we can have a page of known OOo "downstreams", providers like ODFauthors and "forks" like LibreOffice.
>

>> Maybe we can agree to some categories to avoid having just a long list.
>
> Maybe Rob's five categories should be "Teams". Committers add their names to the teams they plan to help in addition to the roster.

Sounds good.

Marcus

Re: "Some of our contributors" page

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 18, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Marcus Lange wrote:

> Am 06/18/2011 05:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>>
>> I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
>> particular:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>>
>> From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
>> to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.
>>
>> I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
>> site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
>> especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
>> recent contributions.
>>
>> Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
>> for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
>> later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
>> highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.
>
> If only specific people, I doubt that we can find a rule that really all would agreed to.
>
>> Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.
>
> ACK, who is recognized as contributor/committer/member should be allowed to add her/his name. Or ask to add if they cannot do it themselves.

Each committer should update the roster to add their name, email address, affiliation (if allowed) and area of interest.

Doing so is a great way to make sure that your apache account is properly setup and that you will be able to commit your changes.

It serves as a test and it let's everyone know the individuals empowered to commit then review. All other developers will then know those empowered to review then commit.

As committers we are the agents for the community and the community should know who we are - one place.

> In the "old" project we had a long list of people that have helped the project and product:
> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html

Sure. And we can have a page of known OOo "downstreams", providers like ODFauthors and "forks" like LibreOffice.

> Maybe we can agree to some categories to avoid having just a long list.

Maybe Rob's five categories should be "Teams". Committers add their names to the teams they plan to help in addition to the roster.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
As the person who built the initial template from which you took this page. I created it so that there was somewhere for all initial committers to add their name as a first commit. My goal was to ensure that everyone tested their commit rights and also had to use the CMS.

How the page is used moving forwards is entirely up to you. I expect other incubating sites to retire it. In my experience maintaining such a page becomes counter productive to community building - "why am I not there? Clearly I'm not appreciated". There are many ways of getting lists of contributors (mailing list, svn, word of mouth, etc.)

It's the projects choice what to do with it.

Ross

Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> contributors
>> committers.

>> web
>> on,

>> requirement
>> the

>> > Most projects (all?) have a roster of the PMC and committers.
>> >
>> > http://tomcat.apache.org/whoweare.html
>> > http://poi.apache.org/who.html
>> > http://pdfbox.apache.org/team-list.html
>> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/team.html
>> > http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/
>> >
>> > The HTTPD Server project has Major Contributors as well with a big thank
>> you to Rob McCool.
>> >
>> > I really think that the OOo should follow a pattern like these. The
>> HTTPD roster includes greater detail. This might be good.
>>
>> Ha!! That thing is *soooooo* out of date, it isn't even funny. In
>> short, it is totally unmaintained. I dunno that you want to use that
>> as a reference :-P
>>
>> To answer Rob's question: it is an issue for each project to decide.
>>
>> Apache Subversion doesn't have a "people" page. We consider it a team
>> thing, rather than about individuals. People get their recognition via
>> commit logs :-P ... Is the project about doing great work, or about
>> getting your name in lights?
>>

> Sometimes both sometime one or the other. The answers vary greatly in my
> experience.

Sorry sent too fast, so OOo has a lot of lights. Letting people and
newcomers who is what is really important so that the newcomer is not
frustrated looking the right people to either address an issue or
contribute. Or other things like marketing and PR. That is why in OOo
culture, there was/is a lot of public figures starting with community
managers, marketing reps, and going through the different NLC
representatives and technical leads.
or officials like Lead-CoLeads:
http://xml.openoffice.org/
Even within a NLC you will have a people's page or membership pages:
http://openoffice.org/projects/fr/members
or here:
http://es.openoffice.org/lecturas/lecturas_0017.html

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: "Some of our contributors" page

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: "Some of our contributors" page

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To answer Rob's question: it is an issue for each project to decide.
>
> Apache Subversion doesn't have a "people" page. We consider it a team
> thing, rather than about individuals. People get their recognition via
> commit logs :-P ... Is the project about doing great work, or about
> getting your name in lights?
>
> Cheers,
> -g

The interesting thing to me is this study:

I-H. Hann et al., “Economic Returns to Open Source Participation:A Panel
Data Analysis,” unpublished working paper, Univ. of Southern California;
http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/wise2004/sun412.pdf

This study looked at Apache specifically, at the motivations of
contributors, and noted that one motivation for contributing to a project
was the signaling value to current and future employers.

"Our analysis shows that employers do not reward the accumulation of
experience in open source projects per se.  Rather, successful open source
participation, measured as higher open source rank, is associated with
higher wages, even after controlling for work and programming experience".

I don't see any essential conflict between working as a team effort while
also allowing contributors signal their contributions.  If we do this right,
the interests of the project and of the individual are aligned.  I see this
as an essential part of recruiting non-sponsored contributors, of growing
the project and its community.

Maybe the most sensible thing is to list all committers?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 18, 2011, at 8:02 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>
> I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
> particular:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>
> From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
> to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.
>
> I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
> site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
> especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
> recent contributions.
>
> Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
> for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
> later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
> highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.
>
> Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.

Most projects (all?) have a roster of the PMC and committers.

http://tomcat.apache.org/whoweare.html
http://poi.apache.org/who.html
http://pdfbox.apache.org/team-list.html
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/team.html
http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/

The HTTPD Server project has Major Contributors as well with a big thank you to Rob McCool.

I really think that the OOo should follow a pattern like these. The HTTPD roster includes greater detail. This might be good.

One of first things that new committers typically do in a project is to add their name to the roster.

Very often it is the first commit!

Regards,
Dave