Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Dan Dong <do...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/17 18:02:08 UTC

To let SSVM reach outside network.

Hi, All,
  I found I could not register my ISO image to the cloudstack( through URL
of http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04.1/ubuntu-14.04.1-server-amd64.iso). The
SSVM is running and health check show no problems on it. But it just could
not see the outside network, although SSVM is on the same network as KVM
host, i.e. 192.168.0.*. My setup is as following:

Management Server external NIC:10.*
Management Server internal NIC: 192.168.0.100

KVM host NIC: 192.168.0.101
guest VMs are all in 192.168.0.*/24 network.

>From SSVM I can ping the internal IP of the Management Server at
192.168.0.100, but could not ping the external IP of it at 10.*.

>From KVM host itself I can reach the outside internet as NAT is configured
on the Management Server to let the 192.168.0.0 traffic through. Any hints
how to let SSVM to reach the internet?

Cheers,
Dan

RE: To let SSVM reach outside network.

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.
Hello Dan,

	I have done simple networking for XenServer and it worked well. All guest and management IP-s belonged to 192.168.1.0/24 network and public net in my case was 10.0.0.0/24. If you don't have external switch/router that can be programmed to handle different nets on different ports than you probably need to configure tagging and trunk-ing at your single interface. Not good option indeed. Try to get something similar to Juniper SRX 100 or get another PC with at least 2 NICs to set up VyOS. We have such router for advanced networking and were satisfied  with it.

	What do you need is properly define your subnets where guest and public traffic  do not overlap. I think it is better to assign them different network classes, but this is not a requirement.  Look closer here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/SSVM,+templates,+Secondary+storage+troubleshooting Each interface at SSVM has specific puropose. You always know wich NIC should connect to wich network and this information SSVM gets from the database. Read the SSVM troubleshooting guide carefully. Re-create your zone with proper subnets. You may have to do it several times, so you can backup you database before test and restore in a case of failure.
	Of course before configuring zone at Cloudstack you should physically separate nets on network level and it must work before configuration.

Regards,

Vadim.

Posted by Dan Dong <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Vadim,

Posted by Dan Dong <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Vadim,

Posted by Dan Dong <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Vadim,

Posted by Dan Dong <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Vadim,

Posted by Tilak Raj Singh <ti...@gmail.com>.
if you are behind a authenticated proxy or cannot access the outside
network a little trick that worked for me was downloading the iso on the
management server. Then running *python -m SimpleHTTPServer <port number>*
in the download directory to turn it into a sort of mirror and then using
that to upload the iso using the path like *http://localhost
<http://localhost>:<port number>/<name of the iso>*

For doing this you would also need to change the
*secstorage.allowed.internal.sites* value in the global settings to the ip
of ur management server or to its complete subnet...like my server ip is in
subnet 172.31.100.0/22 so i did put that value for the listed global
setting parameter

Regards

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Vadim Kimlaychuk <Vadim.Kimlaychuk@elion.ee

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.