Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by Pierre-Mikael Legris <pl...@fbwww.epfl.ch> on 2001/01/21 17:21:54 UTC

persistants variables and channels.

Hi,

About persistants variables for mod_dtcl.

I think that a micro server should run in the background to keep and serve
variables to the scripts. It should also be used to run scripts at determinate
intervals, or when the load is low.

For example let's say that I'm running a server that will authetificate the
users for each required document. Then I'll keep  a table of all the actually
logged users, with their cookie or whatever. Querying a database will be I think
to costly.. and maybe I just don't want to save this data..
Another interesting thing is that I could like for with crontab, run specific
task at a determinate time, or when the load is low.
For example I would like to save a certain variable to synchronize a database
and a persistant variable.

I was thinking of having variable servers, launched by the users himself.
The problem is that I don't see how to pass the server channel to each httpd
child.

Any idea are welcome.

Perki

This mail sent through IMP: imap.epfl.ch

Re: persistants variables and channels.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
"Claus Bo Nielsen" <cb...@estructure.net> writes:

> I came up with a small daemon running which will store strings out
> of a session id. Please see the attached daemon, a small start
> script and some example code. I remembered that I had some nice
> ideas about how it could be extended but I don't use it anymore so
> you know old code. I hope you can use it for some sort of template.

Is it ok if I include this from the tcl.apache.org pages?  I am going
to put together an 'add-on' package for mod_dtcl, which should include
a whole lot of things.

Pierre, did you have a look at this code?  Does it do what you want?

--
David N. Welton
     Personal:           http://www.efn.org/~davidw/

RE: persistants variables and channels.

Posted by Claus Bo Nielsen <cb...@estructure.net>.
Hi Pierre-Mikael

I had the same problem about a year ago - needed to make a session keeping
vars from one script to the other (other than parsing is along in the header
or the URL).

I came up with a small daemon running which will store strings out of a
session id. Please see the attached daemon, a small start script and some
example code. I remembered that I had some nice ideas about how it could be
extended but I don't use it anymore so you know old code. I hope you can use
it for some sort of template.

Claus Bo