Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Levi Rosol <le...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/28 19:20:59 UTC

Moving from VSS to SVN

So it's official. Hardware is on the way for our new dedicated SVN server!
Now I can officially say I use SVN at home, and at work!

With that said, what are some recommended resources for integrating SVN into
a MS environment. Ideally SVN will use active directory for authentication.
Apache will be used for web access, again, using AD auth. I have the
Subversion book on order, but would like to read up on any links you may
have this weekend.

Also, is there any truth to the comment i heard that Adobe Version Cue CS2
is using SVN as it's backend?

--
Levi Rosol
http://blogbylevi.iveldesigns.com

Re: Moving from VSS to SVN

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Levi Rosol wrote:
> With that said, what are some recommended resources for integrating
> SVN into a MS environment. Ideally SVN will use active directory for
> authentication. Apache will be used for web access, again, using AD
> auth. I have the Subversion book on order, but would like to read up
> on any links you may have this weekend.

The TortoiseSVN manual has some good info on the Apache/AD integration:
<http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/ch03.html#tsvn-serversetup-apache-5>

There is no Subversion "SCC provider" for Microsoft's tools but AnkhSvn
is a decent plugin for Visual Studio:
<http://ankhsvn.tigris.org/>

Re: Moving from VSS to SVN

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
  So it's official. Hardware is on the way for our new dedicated SVN server! Now I can officially say I use SVN at home, and at work!

  With that said, what are some recommended resources for integrating SVN into a MS environment. Ideally SVN will use active directory for authentication. Apache will be used for web access, again, using AD auth. I have the Subversion book on order, but would like to read up on any links you may have this weekend.

  Also, is there any truth to the comment i heard that Adobe Version Cue CS2 is using SVN as it's backend?

The O'Reilly book is *wildly* out of date. Feel free to tell O'Reilly, I asked them at LinuxWorld and the rep there said a new version was unlikely unless there was clear demand for it. Use it as a basic physical reference, but for details look things up at:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

RE: Moving from VSS to SVN

Posted by Hernán Martínez Foffani <he...@ecc.es>.
> With that said, what are some recommended resources for integrating
> SVN into a MS environment.

I can highly recommend the TortoiseSVN client.
In its documentation you'll also find how to install a Subversion
server in a Windows environment (even with SSPI authentication)

Regards,
-Hernán.